Lost Internet Access

  • Start date Start date

Hello there,

In my home computer, when I had only three browser windows(IE) opened I saw
one window which was minimized, not responding while trying to close it. I
clicked on the 'End Now' button and till then Internet Explorer and other
browsers are not opening any page. I didn't install any new program before
that.

Can anyone tell what is the reason?

Pramit said:
*Hello there,

In my home computer, when I had only three browser windows(IE) opened
I saw
one window which was minimized, not responding while trying to close
it. I
clicked on the 'End Now' button and till then Internet Explorer and
other
browsers are not opening any page. I didn't install any new program
before
that.

Can anyone tell what is the reason? *

It appears you might have picked up a trojan virus while surfing the
internet. Usually the minimized page will display an ip address such as
69.x.x.x and cannot be closed. I would access a computer that has
internet access and download the Sysclean Damage Package from
Trendmicro, including the latest pattern file release. Burn it to a cd
and install on the infected computer. Run the scan, preferably in safe
mode.

Thanks, I have checked the system with that as I had that in that system
already before, only one I can do is to download a latest pattern file. But
that did not solve the problem. I think the problem has more to do with the
svchost.exe (Generic Host process for Win32 which encounterrs an error each
time I shut down, I got a fix from Microsoft(KB894391) for that and the
problem began after that ).

Still thanks very much for replying.

Hi,
Since you mention http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894391 in a followup
message, is the OS Windows XP?

Some steps to try:
Delete the Temporary Internet Files. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General>
Delete files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's
often recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Disable, for diagnostic purposes, any third-party security software-
firewall, antivirus, etc. You may have to reinstall or reconfigure a
program. Disable toolbars and other add-ons to IE. Before disabling a
third-party firewall, enable the Windows firewall- don't go online without
protection.

Any version of XP...
Open a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
Then restart.

If using XP SP2...
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
netsh Winsock reset

Any version of XP- try this winsock repair tool:
WinsockXP Fix- WinXP http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
Also, with instructions, at http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

You probably have malware installed. Try CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot and
the
other programs listed and explained at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page. I would also run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Some malware must be removed manually- you may have to post a HijackThis log
for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums. Look for the
proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so that you follow
proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Pramit Roy" wrote in message

Yes, I have Windows XP Pro.
I did that. It worked. Thanks very much for that. But after that I still got
error messages after I restarted the system. I reinstalled the fix available
from Microsoft (here http://tinyurl.com/db44o ). But the problem persists.
I may have no malware as I have scanned whole system by Norton,
CWShredder,MSAntiSpyware,Ad-Aware and Spybot.
Well, now I can see that if I open more than 2 or 3 windows I find one or
two of them get hanged. Those become "not responding". I fear to click on
"End Now" button again.

Should I have to continue flushing DNS and reseting Winsock?
I think the solution available newly for the Generic host process error
cannot be depended on(its got from here :
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=adc7cb45-ad3a-4a4e-8d6e-3934fe93462e&SID=1501 )

Still thanks for all your help.
Don Varnau said:
[...]

From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

"Pramit Roy" wrote in message
Hello there,

In my home computer, when I had only three browser windows(IE) opened I saw
one window which was minimized, not responding while trying to close it. I
clicked on the 'End Now' button and till then Internet Explorer and other
browsers are not opening any page. I didn't install any new program before
that.

Can anyone tell what is the reason?

Pramit Roy,
In addition to the procedures posted by Don:

"Some steps to try:
Delete the Temporary Internet Files. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General>
Delete files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's
often recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)"

I would also suggest you clear the cache folder for JAVA, especially if you
have Sun's Java VM installed.

Control Panel> Java> General tab> TIF section> Delete Files> Make sure that
all items are check> Apply/OK.

Yesterday I found the JaveExploit file, being talked about lately, in the
Java cache folder. No problem, AV program caught it, and quarantined it. I
have decided to uncheck in Sun's Java, "Enable Cache" folder.

Control Panel> Java> General tab> TIF section> Settings button> View
Applets> Uncheck box to Enable cache. If you need Java's Cache folder
enabled, I would suggest that you change the size setting from "Unlimited"
(default) to something like 50 MB, such as Don has recommended for TIF
folder size. You can adjust it as you desire. But you should not see any
real delay with this feature off, when going to game (such as Pogo.com) &
other sites, that utilizes Java.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Yes, I have Windows XP Pro.
I did that. It worked. Thanks very much for that. But after that I still got
error messages after I restarted the system. I reinstalled the fix available
from Microsoft (here http://tinyurl.com/db44o ). But the problem persists.
I may have no malware as I have scanned whole system by Norton,
CWShredder,MSAntiSpyware,Ad-Aware and Spybot.
Well, now I can see that if I open more than 2 or 3 windows I find one or
two of them get hanged. Those become "not responding". I fear to click on
"End Now" button again.

Should I have to continue flushing DNS and reseting Winsock?
I think the solution available newly for the Generic host process error
cannot be depended on(its got from here :
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=adc7cb45-ad3a-4a4e-8d6e-3934fe93462e&SID=1501 )

Still thanks for all your help.

Control Panel> Java> General tab> Temporary Internet Files section> Settings
button> View Applets> Uncheck box to Enable Caching (bottom left corner).

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Thanks. Did that. But where is "Enable Cache" option to uncheck?

Hi,
Were you experiencing the symptoms in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894391 ?
DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text e-mail messages
and you may receive a "Generic Host Process" error message after you install
security update MS05-012

If you hadn't mentioned that article, I would be looking for another program
to be causing this problem with IE. You might try starting up in Safe Mode
with Network Support to see if IE still has the problem. Safe Mode will
prevent many other programs from starting.

You may be looking for a legitimate program such as an antivirus or other
security program.

You could try this lengthy troubleshooting processs:
276393 - Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393

You may have malware which the programs didn't find or couldn't remove. You
may want to post a HijackThis log

"Pramit Roy" wrote in message
Yes, I have Windows XP Pro.
I did that. It worked. Thanks very much for that. But after that I still got
error messages after I restarted the system. I reinstalled the fix available
from Microsoft (here http://tinyurl.com/db44o ). But the problem persists.
I may have no malware as I have scanned whole system by Norton,
CWShredder,MSAntiSpyware,Ad-Aware and Spybot.
Well, now I can see that if I open more than 2 or 3 windows I find one or
two of them get hanged. Those become "not responding". I fear to click on
"End Now" button again.

Should I have to continue flushing DNS and reseting Winsock?
I think the solution available newly for the Generic host process error
cannot be depended on(its got from here :
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=adc7cb45-ad3a-4a4e-8d6e-3934fe93462e&SID=1501 )

Thanks. I could not wait when the problem came back again. I reinstalled XP
starting from the scratch. Now after installing XP I am experiencing exactly
the same problem and now flushing DNS or sesetting Winsock is not solving the
problem. I then reinstalled SP2 and now can go through browser, but I am
afraid as I think soon I may be struck with the problem again. So this time I
am quite sure that there is something wrong with SP2.
Have you anything to suggest?
Thanks in advance.

"Pramit Roy" wrote in message
Yes, I have Windows XP Pro.
I did that. It worked. Thanks very much for that. But after that I still got
error messages after I restarted the system. I reinstalled the fix available
from Microsoft (here http://tinyurl.com/db44o ). But the problem persists.
I may have no malware as I have scanned whole system by Norton,
CWShredder,MSAntiSpyware,Ad-Aware and Spybot.
Well, now I can see that if I open more than 2 or 3 windows I find one or
two of them get hanged. Those become "not responding". I fear to click on
"End Now" button again.

Should I have to continue flushing DNS and reseting Winsock?
I think the solution available newly for the Generic host process error
cannot be depended on(its got from here :
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=adc7cb45-ad3a-4a4e-8d6e-3934fe93462e&SID=1501 )
Still thanks for all your help.

Back
Top