Lookup Filter

  • Start date Start date

Hi, all.

I am keeping track of clients we work with and I want to be able to update
my records as new events take place. We have about 3,000 clients in our
database. What is the simplest way to look up a clients record to update,
particulary because we get names spelled incorrectly and need to make sure we
don't add new clients when they already exist. I know how to use the
binoculars, but I want to have some type of field in to which our data entry
folks can type in all or part of a name and have the database search for
records that match totally or partially and then a quick and easy way to
click and pull up the form for that client.

HELP!

Include a textbox on the form
include the code between the stars *******

***********************************
Private Sub txtFILTERS_AfterUpdate()

FilterOn = False
Filter = "[Last Name] Like '*" & txtFILTERS & "*'"
FilterOn = True

End Sub
*********************************

Where 'txtFilters' is the name of the textbox
Where 'Last Name' is the name of the surname field

"Cat144*-Help with lookup" <Cat144*-Help with
news:[email protected]...

Thanks...but I am new to this. Where do I enter this code? do I have to
build an event? I don't know how to do this? Once done, can they enter
something into that text box and it will filter the rest of the form? Help!

ERIN

JethroUK© said:
[...]

Put a textbox on the form
Double-Click it (opens property box)

Name = "txtFilters"

Choose 'After Update' box
Click the dropdown and choose "Event Procedure"
Click the three dots '...' on the right hand side
This opens a procedure window something like:

----------------------
Private Sub txtFILTERS_AfterUpdate()

End Sub
------------------------
in the space between the lines, copy and paste (dont type):

FilterOn = False
Filter = "[Last Name] Like '*" & txtFILTERS & "*'"
FilterOn = True
'Where "Last Name" is the name of the field containing the surname

you should end up with:

-----------------------------
Private Sub txtFILTERS_AfterUpdate()

FilterOn = False
Filter = "[Last Name] Like '*" & txtFILTERS & "*'"
FilterOn = True
'Where "Last Name" is the name of the field containing the surname

End Sub
Close this window

Now whatever you type in the textbox will filter out all those with 'that
phrase' in their last name

To get all names back just delete whatevers in the textbox

JethroUK© said:
[...]

Back
Top