log4net performance

  • Start date Start date

Rolling my application from UAT to production.

Want to know how much of a performance overhead would it be for the
log4net's logging statement (log.info, log.debug) for an ASP.NET app running
on IIS6/Windows server 2003?

it's not that much, if you are asking for hard figures i don't have any.
that is something you need to measure yourself

Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ www.lulu.com/owc
Forth-coming VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley 2006

Thanks for Alvin's inputs.

Hi Patrick,

As for log4net, it is a well developed logging library build from the
original log4j project in java. Currently I think it would be one of the
prefered logging components we have for .NET application. Also, for
performance overhead for loggin in asp.net application, it'll be hard to
give a definite answer as Alvin has mentioend, in real word scenario, the
web page's actual code logic will afffect the overall consideration of the
logging or other overhead. For example, for long time processing page, the
logging overhead can be ignored. And for quick responding pages , the
logging time is surely a significant fact. Anyway, I think it would be
better to do a simple tests regarding on your ASP.NET application's
scenario which will give you a practical view on it.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP" <www.lulu.com/owc>
| Subject: Re: log4net performance
| Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:08:31 -0400
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework,microsoft.public.dotnet.general

| it's not that much, if you are asking for hard figures i don't have any.
| that is something you need to measure yourself
|
| --
| Regards,
| Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
|
| [Shameless Author plug]
| The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET
| Now Available @ www.lulu.com/owc
| Forth-coming VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley 2006
|

| | > Rolling my application from UAT to production.
| >
| > Want to know how much of a performance overhead would it be for the
| > log4net's logging statement (log.info, log.debug) for an ASP.NET app
| running
| > on IIS6/Windows server 2003?

Back
Top