Local Admin Password

Arsen

I have 2000 computers in my win2000 Ad environment, is there a way to force
the password to change for the local admin without visiting all 2000
machines.?

Chriss3

Assign the follow with in a startup script within a Group Policy.

HOW TO: Assign Scripts in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322241

sNewPassword = "testpassword"
Set oWshNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
sComputer = oWshNet.ComputerName

On Error Resume Next
Set oUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & sComputer & "/Administrator,user")
oUser.SetPassword sNewPassword
oUser.SetInfo
On Error Goto 0

Mike Shepperd [MSFT]

You can use cusrmgr.exe from the Windows 2000 Resource Kit.
"cusrmgr.exe -u Administrator -m \\pc1 -P newpassword"

Please look at:
272530 How to Use the Cusrmgr.exe Tool to Change Administrator Account
Password
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272530

This article provides all of the information you should need to change the
passwords, though for that many machines, I would consider using a script
to query the AD for the machine names.

You may be able to use the ListMembers.vbs script from the Windows 2000
Resource Kit as a starting point. It is provided with no warranty and
you'll need to review it to make sure it will gather the information you
need, but it should create the list which you can parse for the machine
name. Be sure to add ">computer.txt" or something similar to the command
line parameters to build a text file you can work with.

Sample Usage and Output:

listmembers.vbs WinNT://domainname /C:computer
Getting object WinNT://MyDomain...
Getting members of WinNT://MyDomain
computer 1 WinNT://MyDomain/Server1
computer 2 WinNT://MyDomain/Server2
computer 3 WinNT://MyDomain/DC1
computer 4 WinNT://MyDomain/DC1
computer 5 WinNT://MyDomain/Member1
computer 6 WinNT://MyDomain/Exchange1
Object WinNT://MyDomain" has 6 computer members.

You could then do a find/replace on "WinNT://MyDomain/" and replace it with
"cusrmgr.exe -u Administrator -m \\", which should set up the basic
formatting needed for the cusrmgr batch file. You'll still need to delete
the computer1, computer2 listing at the beginning of each line but it gets
you much closer than having to create a list of 2000 machines manually.
It's also possible that you could import the text file into Excel and strip
out the extraneous information there, then save it back into a text file
with the right formatting.

NOTE: You'll need to make sure that all of the machines on the list are
ones you want to, and can change the password for.

--
Mike Shepperd MCSE Windows 2000/NT 4.0
Support Engineer

originated.