Link won't open

Sarah

When using outlook express with e-mail or IE with some web pages I am not
able to get web pages to open up when clicking the links that are in the
blue text. I have tried re-installing IE 6, re-installed xp home, and have
gone to Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and looked for URL:HyperText
Transfer Protocol but found that it is missing. I thought that
re-installing the operating system would replace the missing file but it did
not. I am not sure that this missing protocol has anything to do with the
problems that I am having with opening links. What can I do to resolve this
problem?

Thank you
Sarah

t.cruise

Close Internet Explorer and Outlook Express if either are open.

Click your Start button, click: Run

Type: regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Click the OK button

Then go to Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs tab, click the Reset Web
Settings button

Reboot your system, then try the links in Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express.

SeaJay

I have the same problem Sarah has, and your solution did not resolve the
problem for me?
I experienced this problem before, and set my computer back using GoBack ...
back to before a particular Windows UpDate ... but I don't remember how far
back I set it or which Windows UpDate was involved?
SeaJay

--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

Sarah said:
When using outlook express with e-mail or IE with some web pages I am not
able to get web pages to open up when clicking the links that are in the
blue text. I have tried re-installing IE 6, re-installed xp home, and have
gone to Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and looked for URL:HyperText
Transfer Protocol but found that it is missing. I thought that
re-installing the operating system would replace the missing file but it did
not. I am not sure that this missing protocol has anything to do with the
problems that I am having with opening links. What can I do to resolve this
problem?

Thank you
Sarah

Sarah

I had already tried what t. cruise suggested but to no avail. I have been
looking everywhere for a solution but still no luck. I don't understand why
doing a repair install doesn't replace what ever is missing.

Sarah

Sarah said:
When using outlook express with e-mail or IE with some web pages I am not
able to get web pages to open up when clicking the links that are in the
blue text. I have tried re-installing IE 6, re-installed xp home, and have
gone to Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and looked for URL:HyperText
Transfer Protocol but found that it is missing. I thought that
re-installing the operating system would replace the missing file but
it
did
not. I am not sure that this missing protocol has anything to do with the
problems that I am having with opening links. What can I do to
resolve
this
problem?

Thank you
Sarah

Wesley Vogel

Sarah;
Links In Outlook Express mail and news don't work.
If you click on links in OE mail and news and they do not work, it's because
Outlook Express is not
your default mail and news program and IE is not your default browser. Do this:
1--In Outlook Express, go to Tools | Options and make sure that
"Make Outlook Express my default mail program" and
"Make Outlook Express my default news reader are checked.
2--In IE, go to View | Internet Options | Programs
and select OE for mail and news.
Also, be sure "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default
browser" is checked

http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx
=====
From http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

To be sure OE is the default mail client, close OE, click Start| Run and enter
this command line,
complete with quotes, spaces and the /reg switch:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

Of course change the path if you installed OE elsewhere.

Now click Start| Settings| Control Panel, double-click Internet Options, then
click on the Programs
tab, and verify that OE is now the default email client. (You can also get there
from the IE Tools|
Internet Options menu). Then open OE and click Tools| Options, and at the bottom
of the General tab,
verify that OE is set as the default. If it is, the "Make Default" button will
be grayed out. If
not, click the button.

Sarah

When I go to Outlook Express tools options to Make Outlook Express my
default mail program I find that the box to check for default is grayed out
and I am not able to check. What do I do to check this default box?

Thanks

SeaJay

I have resolved the problem again ... had forgotten how I did it the last
time ... but remember how I resolved the problem 10 minutes ago ... I used
my computers System Restore ... and restored my system back to November 11th
.... ALL IS WELL with my computer now ... I am able to select links in my
emails and news groups again ... I also had to reinstall a few Windows
UpDates ... but things are still running well...

For Sarah >>> should you attempt to use system restore and it does not workNOT interfere with any of your personal data on your computer ... I hope
things work out for you ... Please let us know...

Enjoy!
SeaJay

"Sarah" <none> wrote in message
When using outlook express with e-mail or IE with some web pages I
am
not
able to get web pages to open up when clicking the links that are in the
blue text. I have tried re-installing IE 6, re-installed xp home, and
have
gone to Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and looked for URL:HyperText
Transfer Protocol but found that it is missing. I thought that
re-installing the operating system would replace the missing file
but
it with
the

Please reply to news group.