Limit access to the internet

  • Start date Start date

Hi

Windows 2000 in 2003 Domain with Proxy.

Many users are logging to one computers. They access the internet from it.
I would like to limit this access and let only two users with the internet
access.

Is there a way of doing this ? If so, how ?

Many thanks

Best

You could use a third-part app: http://www.blumentals.net/inetprot/

You can also restrict internet access via the registry or IE's proxy
settings on the Internet Options...Connect tab, LAN settings button. Set it
to use a non-existent proxy server and then lock out access to the Internet
Options via the registry setting "NoBrowserOptions" below. Corresponding
registry entries re the proxy settings are also below..

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings]
"MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
These settings enable the use of a proxy server.

"ProxyServer"="http://ProxyServername:80"
Contains the address of the Proxy server. Since we want to block web
access, just fill this in with a few random characters.

"ProxyOverride"
Use this setting if there are websites that you want your users to have
access to. Addresses should be separated by a semicolon (;).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions]
"NoBrowserOptions"=dword:00000001
This setting prevents users from opening "Internet Options" and
changing the Proxy settings back to default.

Other restrictions you may find useful are in this article:

The restrictions that are available to Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823057

Hi Best,

Jon provided greate information, please follow him. :)

As well as, I noticed that "Windows 2000 in 2003 Domain with Proxy". Can
you manage the proxy? Mostly, I think proxy can achieve your purpose.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

From: "Jon Kennedy" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Limit access to the internet
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:39:37 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

--

Jon R. Kennedy MS MVP/IE
Charlotte, NC USA

Hi

Windows 2000 in 2003 Domain with Proxy.

Many users are logging to one computers. They access the internet from
it.
I would like to limit this access and let only two users with the internet
access.

Is there a way of doing this ? If so, how ?

Many thanks

Best

Thanks Vincent

Yes I can manage the proxy but how would I be able to restrict users
accessing the internet except two ? Can you help please ?

Thanks

Best

From: "Jon Kennedy" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:39:37 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

[...]

Thank you Jon

Would your suggestion allows the two users I wanted them to keep their
access to internet, but disallow the others which I do not want them
accessing the internet ?

Many thanks

Best

Jon Kennedy said:
[...]

Hi,

It depends on which proxy are you using. I suggest you refer to the manual
of the proxy.