Large download cutoff by IE 6.0

  • Start date Start date

Dudley Henriques

Got a question if I may please?
I'm using IE 6.0 with XP and all service packs and updates current as of
today.
I'm attempting to download a program which is 50 megs from a known good web
site. What happens is that at about 28megs, I'm getting a cutoff on the
download along with a dialog box telling me that Internet Explorer can't
finish downloading the file and has cut the connection to the server.
I know the cutoff isn't the ISP, and I remember having this issue once
before but have forgotten the reason for it. I think I had to change a
setting in IE or the XP firewall or something like that in order to allow IE
to complete such a large download.
I use a dial up connection with Earthlink, but as I remember it from the
last time, the problem wasn't with the ISP but on my computer.
Can someone bring me up to speed on this issue and remind me what it was I
had to change to allow a 50meg download?
Thanks, and I'll write it down this time :-)
Dudley

Dudley Henriques said:
[...]

Empty TIF and make sure it is at least 60 MB.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Frank;
This is what's puzzling to me. I have an 80GB HD. In settings for TIF I'm
showing 2384 MB in the window now and the slider stops right at 32000 MB.
(Windows setting I presume) I'm not sure what was in the folder at the start
of the download but I keep it fairly clean by emptying it every day or so.
Dudley

Also make sure in the modem or connection settings that disconnect if
idle or however it's worded is not checked.

| Hi Frank;
| This is what's puzzling to me. I have an 80GB HD. In settings for
TIF I'm
| showing 2384 MB in the window now and the slider stops right at
32000 MB.
| (Windows setting I presume) I'm not sure what was in the folder at
the start
| of the download but I keep it fairly clean by emptying it every day
or so.
| Dudley

message
| >> I'm using IE 6.0 with XP and all service packs and updates
current as of
| >> today.
| >> I'm attempting to download a program which is 50 megs from a
known good
| >> web
| >> site. What happens is that at about 28megs, I'm getting a cutoff
on the
| >> download along with a dialog box telling me that Internet
Explorer can't
| >> finish downloading the file and has cut the connection to the
server.
| >> I know the cutoff isn't the ISP, and I remember having this issue
once
| >> before but have forgotten the reason for it. I think I had to
change a
| >> setting in IE or the XP firewall or something like that in order
to allow
| >> IE
| >> to complete such a large download.
| >> I use a dial up connection with Earthlink, but as I remember it
from the
| >> last time, the problem wasn't with the ISP but on my computer.
| >> Can someone bring me up to speed on this issue and remind me what
it was
| >> had to change to allow a 50meg download?
| >> Thanks, and I'll write it down this time :-)
| >> Dudley
| >
| > Empty TIF and make sure it is at least 60 MB.
| >
| > --
| > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
| > Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
| > http://www.fjsmjs.com
| > Protect your PC
| > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
| > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Look in internet options..connections tab..click settings
button..click advanced toward the bottom..uncheck the two disconnect
boxes if checked.

| Thank you. I'm looking for that but can't find it.
| | > Also make sure in the modem or connection settings that disconnect
if
| > idle or however it's worded is not checked.

| > | This is what's puzzling to me. I have an 80GB HD. In settings
for
| > TIF I'm
| > | showing 2384 MB in the window now and the slider stops right at
| > 32000 MB.
| > | (Windows setting I presume) I'm not sure what was in the folder
at
| > the start
| > | of the download but I keep it fairly clean by emptying it every
day
| > or so.
| > | Dudley
| > |
| > message
| > current as of
| > known good
| > on the
| > Explorer can't
| > server.
| > once
| > change a
| > to allow
| > from the
| > it was

| > |
| > |

Both of these are unchecked. The cache reads 2384Megs. That should have been
MORE than enough to handle a 50 meg file?? I'm puzzled that the dialog
window at cutpoff at 28megs said IE had cut the connection to the server. I
checked with Earthlink and they SWEAR :-) that it's not their server cutting
off the download. I think I remember having to change something in settings
somewhere in order to avoid this from happening but if it isn't the TIF file
size and it isn't the two boxes in the IO settings, I'm at a total loss for
what it could be.

You can try going to device manager..right click your
modem..properties and see if you can find a setting there.

| Both of these are unchecked. The cache reads 2384Megs. That should
have been
| MORE than enough to handle a 50 meg file?? I'm puzzled that the
dialog
| window at cutpoff at 28megs said IE had cut the connection to the
server. I
| checked with Earthlink and they SWEAR :-) that it's not their server
cutting
| off the download. I think I remember having to change something in
settings
| somewhere in order to avoid this from happening but if it isn't the
TIF file
| size and it isn't the two boxes in the IO settings, I'm at a total
loss for
| what it could be.
| | > Look in internet options..connections tab..click settings
| > button..click advanced toward the bottom..uncheck the two
disconnect
| > boxes if checked.

| > if

| > for
| > at
| > day
| > | > |
| > cutoff
| > issue
| > order
| > it
| > computer.
| > what

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Thanks Rick. I'll try that. Also, I just reinstalled and updated my Get Rite
download manager program. perhaps that will help a bit :-)

Hi Frank;
I wasn't using it for the download in question. I just got it today after I
realized from checking the TIF cache amount that my TIF were already set for
2384megs and that didn't keep IE from making the cutoff. Something else must
be doing it if the number is that high for TIF I would imagine, but I have
no idea what it could be.
I've checked the modem and connection settings and nothing is out of line
there, and Earthlink SWEARS it's not them!! :-)))
I just thought the Get Rite might help.
Dudley

Dudley Henriques said:
Hi Frank;
I wasn't using it for the download in question. I just got it today after
realized from checking the TIF cache amount that my TIF were already set
for
2384megs and that didn't keep IE from making the cutoff. Something else
must
be doing it if the number is that high for TIF I would imagine, but I
have
no idea what it could be.
I've checked the modem and connection settings and nothing is out of line
there, and Earthlink SWEARS it's not them!! :-)))
I just thought the Get Rite might help.
Dudley
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <[email protected]> wrote in message

It still might be TIF size. As near as I can tell, IE doesn't really manage
a cache over 100 MB. I don't really know, though. I've never had a
problem. I just use IE to manage downloads. I've had it resume and I've
had it start over.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thank you. I'll try this.
Dudley

Frank Saunders said:
It still might be TIF size. As near as I can tell, IE doesn't really
manage a cache over 100 MB. I don't really know, though. I've never had
a problem. I just use IE to manage downloads. I've had it resume and
I've had it start over.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com