jscript error when run on local machine but not on remote connections

  • Start date Start date

Marina

Unless you show the code that is running, and tell us the line it is failing
on, it is anyone's guess.

I have an app I working on that was working fine a few days ago. Now I get
a jscript error:
Microsoft JScript runtime error: Object expected

in a part of the code that has not been modifed or touched. It's actually
part of a separate project. I only get this error when I try to view the
page on my local machine. If I connect to my webserver from another machine
it works fine. What can cause this? Why does it only fail on my local
machine?

Jim

The line it's failing on is the ActivateMenuControlStyleSheet call. This is
where it stops in the debugger:
<script language='JavaScript'>
var MenuHighlightColor = 'buttonhighlight';
ActivateMenuControlStyleSheet('/COMPAS3/ClientFiles/v_1_1_1_4/MenuControlSty
le.css',99);
</script>

It does not fail on other machine connecting to the same webserver. I even
went as far as to do a View->Source on the other machine, save it as an html
file and copy it to my local machine and run it. I still get the same error
on my local machine. The path is valid and it is full control for
"Everyone".

jim

Hi Jim,

If the well displayed webpage(on others machine) generate error on your
machine, I think this should related to the Internet Explorer.
I think the others' machine may disalbed the Jscript debugger so the error
did not generate, while your IE enabled it.
I think you should paste out the ActivateMenuControlStyleSheet()'s source
code to us, or we can not find the error.
Also, you can use VS.net debug into your page to find the error yourself.
(When the error dialog generates, chose debug to open the VS.net)

Hope this helsp,

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Jim H" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: jscript error when run on local machine but not on remote
connections
| Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:32:40 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| The line it's failing on is the ActivateMenuControlStyleSheet call. This
is
| where it stops in the debugger:
| <script language='JavaScript'>
| var MenuHighlightColor = 'buttonhighlight';

ActivateMenuControlStyleSheet('/COMPAS3/ClientFiles/v_1_1_1_4/MenuControlSty
| le.css',99);
| </script>
|

| It does not fail on other machine connecting to the same webserver. I
even
| went as far as to do a View->Source on the other machine, save it as an
html
| file and copy it to my local machine and run it. I still get the same
error
| on my local machine. The path is valid and it is full control for
| "Everyone".
|

| jim
|
| "Marina" <nospam> wrote in message
| | > Unless you show the code that is running, and tell us the line it is
| failing
| > on, it is anyone's guess.

| > get
| > > a jscript error:
| > > Microsoft JScript runtime error: Object expected
| > >
| > > in a part of the code that has not been modifed or touched. It's
| actually
| > > part of a separate project. I only get this error when I try to view
| the
| > > page on my local machine. If I connect to my webserver from another
| > machine
| > > it works fine. What can cause this? Why does it only fail on my
local
| > > machine?
| > >
| > > Jim

It was a problem with a file missing in one of the folders. After getting
the latest version of the ClientFiles folder from source safe it worked
fine. I don't know why it worked on the other machine. The only thing I
can think of is that the other machine is a development machine as well and
maybe had the file cached from runs on it's local web server? Doesn't
really make sense but it's fine now. I must have been missing something.

Thanks to all who responded,
Jim

Hi Jim,

I am glad it finally works.
If you still have any questions please feel free to let me know.

Back
Top