javascript problems

  • Start date Start date

On certain sites (candystand.com, accuradio.com) javascipts will not run. I
have follwed many of the posted suggestions that seem applicable, but nothing
has worked: refreshed scripting engines, deleted files in Internet options,
installed VM, reregisterd dll's, unchecked 3rd party browser, changed
security settings, tried allowing allowed pop-ups, checked my Norton AV and
anti-spam, XP Firewall is not enable, and played Bejewled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you running Norton in the start-up folder? If it runs all the time it
causes problems like that. I had to remove it from start-up and run it when I
needed to or once a week. That also helped speed my computer up. If you don't
know how please let me know and I will be glad to help. Amazing how many
things that are in start-up that you don't need there like calander reminder,
etc. This site is great for us windows XP users, there is a lot of help,
tweaks, fixes there.

Thanks for the reply; I'm anxious to try it out. I could probably figure it
out, but if you would tell me how to remove it from start-up, it would save a
lot of grief and time.

Thanks again.

Sure go to start..run type in msconfig, go to the start-up tab then uncheck
it, if that don't work you need to go into the program and do it

Thanks, but it didn't seem to work. One puzzle: in IE, under internet
options, advanced tab, I have no Java or VM category. I seem to remember one,
and one post mentioned it and I couldn't find it.

Still searching.

Steve M said:
Thanks, but it didn't seem to work. One puzzle: in IE, under internet
options, advanced tab, I have no Java or VM category. I seem to
remember one, and one post mentioned it and I couldn't find it.

Still searching.

1. Java has nothing to do JavaScript.

2. IE6 does not come with Java.
Test Java: http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp
Java VM: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm#java2
Understand that because of a court decision Microsoft will stop all Java
support recommends that you use the Sun JRE.
Sun version
http://java.sun.com/getjava/installer.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
MSJVM Transition FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

So if Java has nothing to do with JavaScript, and my trouble is running
JavaScripts in sites like candystand.com (clicking on a link causes nothing
to happen othr than the word Javascript and a command appearing), whcih, or
all, of your advice should I follow?

Pardon my ignorance, and thanks for your help.

Tested Java, worked fine; Java VM site you reccomended not at that address; I
had installed the Sun version. I still cannot get scripts to run on several
sites (candystand.com, accuradio.com).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Steve M said:
So if Java has nothing to do with JavaScript, and my trouble is
running JavaScripts in sites like candystand.com (clicking on a link
causes nothing to happen othr than the word Javascript and a command
appearing), whcih, or all, of your advice should I follow?

Pardon my ignorance, and thanks for your help.

1. You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

Sometimes there's a corrupt file in the cache and one must go to Tools |
Internet Options and click Delete Files.

2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll

3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679
also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831429

4. See also
Error Message When You Browse the Web: An Error Has Occurred in the Script
on This Page
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306831
Scripting Errors When You View Web Pages in Internet Explorer after
Installing Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521

5a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
extensions (uncheck & reboot).

5b. Find the hijacker that caused 5a to be checked (or if none were checked,
check for hijackware anyway):

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

How to Troubleshoot Script Errors in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Not sure that you tried this but go to Tools, internet options, advanced
scroll down to java and make sure it is checked, then click apply then ok ,
reboot?

This is odd, and maybe a clue: under Advanced, in tools-internet options,
there is no java category (I mentioned this before).
Thanks for the continued interest.

Java and Javascript are not related.

Tom
"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message |
| Not sure that you tried this but go to Tools, internet options, advanced
| scroll down to java and make sure it is checked, then click apply then ok
,
| reboot?

Thanks, now I have a Java option, and it is checked and I restarted, but it
still will not run JavaScripts (in sites such as candystand.com,
accuradio.com.).
Any more suggestions? I see from these forums that other people using SP2
have had these problems.
Thanks.

Thanks- it is checked, and the Javascripts still won't run.
Any other suggestions appreciated.

Steve M said:
Thanks, now I have a Java option, and it is checked and I restarted,
but it still will not run JavaScripts (in sites such as
candystand.com, accuradio.com.).
Any more suggestions? I see from these forums that other people using
SP2 have had these problems.
Thanks.

As has been mentioned time and again, Java has nothing to do with
JavaScript.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

I have been having the exact same problem, particularly with candystand.com.
One day it was working and the next none of the games would load. My
scripting options are set to enable so I have no idea what else could be
wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back
Top