Javascript is not working

  • Start date Start date

For some reason recently all javascript on every page is not being parsed the
javascript code on every page does not work resulting in frustration on
almost every page I go to. Could I have accidently turned off this function?

Thanks, Justin.

Hi,
Some possibilities:
Go to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone, set it to Default.

Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Check any third-party security programs to see if one of them is blocking
scripts, scripting, active content. Norton Internet Security and a number of
other programs can be configured to block scripts.

Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Reinstall the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Windows Script 5.6

Reregistering the DLLs listed in the Resolution section of this article may
help:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Justin" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Don Varnau said:
[...]

I'm having the same problem with javascript, I did ALL of the fixes you
suggested, but none of them worked. The site I was visiting was
www.kohls.com. When I clicked on the "contact us" link or the link to take
you to your account, nothing happened. I tried right-clicking with OPEN IN
NEW WINDOW, but that just opened a window that remained blank. With the
account link, I was able to read the web address for the link and just typed
it in myself and it worked, but that isn't always possible.

Any other suggestions?

Hi J-Man - Try this:

Go to Start|Run and enter "regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll" (without the quotes).
After you get a Success message, re-boot. If that doesn't work, then check
out the following article and do the additional steps outlined there:

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You
Click a Link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281679

Also see these articles:
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window
and, Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 may display a blank Web page
after you select Auto-Select encoding http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870863

If you're on XP your can try MVP Ramesh's .reg fix here which sometimes can
help:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog Defending Your Machine here:

J-Man said:
Don Varnau said:
[...]

Jim: Thanks for the help. None of those things worked (I'd already tried
some of those things per the earlier posting) and the link with the "#" in
it didn't work, but I went to that site (Sandi's?) anyway and found the
answer under Java. Apparently I had two versions of Java runtime 1.31.02,
and both were damaged. Right-clicking and selecting "update," per the
site's instructions, did NOT work; however, I had two more current versions
of Java (1.4 something), so I just removed the two damaged files and voilà--
everything's working!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

J-Man said:
Don Varnau said:
[...]

YW, J-Man - Glad you got it straightened out.

--

J-Man said:
[...]

Actually, I guess I spoke too soon, as the problem has reared its ugly head
once again. I think I may have temporarily fixed it-- this time I had to do
something different. First I downloaded and installed the MS Java Virtual
Machine, because I was getting the error message that indicated that it was
not installed when I tried to run the command jview.exe. However, that
didn't work, and when I attempted to do the "critical update" that Sandi's
site indicated was required after installing MSJava VM, all I could do was
use Windows Update, and it downloaded some MS.net Service Pack 1.1 that
didn't seem to relate to what Sandi was talking about. Even after all of
this, even though I got a "successfully installed" after running the
MSJavaVM installation program, I still go nothing using jview.exe., and the
website would still not open a window that used a link with javascript.

I uninstalled the two Sun Java items that were there when checking
Settings/View Objects. Then I installed the MSJavaVM again. Then I did all
of those regsvr32 commands. Nothing worked until I did regsvr32 msjava.dll.
Then the webpage works correctly-- but I STILL get the error message running
jview.exe indicating that MS Java is not installed. I have no idea if this
is going to continue working, but I'm getting really frustrated. Why does
this have to be so complicated?

Jim Byrd said:
[...]

Hi J-Man - You can test whether Java is working on your machine at the
following sites:

http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html
http://www.clan.lib.ri.us/clan/javatest.html (This one may be down)
http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp (both 1.0 and 1.1 and what's installed)
http://coglab.wadsworth.com/support/browsercheck.html
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/webct/browser_detect.html

If you have Sun Java installed, you can run their test utility here:
http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

and you can test Javascript here:
http://www.dancespots.net/browsertest.htm

There is good information concerning all aspects of the Java situation here:
http://www.javatester.org/installing.html

Be aware, however, that after Dec 31, 2007, MS will apparently no longer be
distributing Java or providing any support for Java including security
fixes. See here: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/ so you might want
to start thinking about the future. MS Java VM Transition FAQ are available
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp Information on the current
availability of the MS JVM is available here: INFO: Availability of Current
Build of Microsoft VM,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163637

You can get the Sun Java J2SE RunTimes or SDK here:
http://java.sun.com/downloads/index.html (all versions - select using the
dropdown - I recommend that you don't install any version prior to 1.4.2.06
in order to get a necessary bug fix.)

Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in
here: http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html

If you want the latest and greatest, you can link to a download for the J2SE
5.0 JRE here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use,
BTW)

For the MS Java VM, you may need to install v.3805 or v.3809 prior to
upgrading to v. 3810 if you didn't previously have MS Java v. 3805 or 3809
installed.

If your OS is Win2000 SP2, SP3 but NOT SP4 then you can download and install
MS Java VM v. 3809 from here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/m..._510A502BA8F9B6F19230BB2BCCE87D5474AC9DCD.exe
or here:
http://www.biologylab.awlonline.com...icrosoft.Q810030_W2K_SP4_5849/Q810030_W2K.exe

For Win2000 SP4, follow the directions here: Frequently Asked Questions
About the Microsoft VM and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820101 "Because the Microsoft VM files are
not protected by the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature in Windows 2000
SP4, redistributable versions of the Microsoft VM can be installed on a
Windows 2000 SP4-based computer with or without the Microsoft VM."

For all other OS's:

Download and install the MS Java VM v. 3809 from one of the links here:
http://ftp.idilis.ro/windows/sp/jvm98/msjavwu.exe, or here:
http://secinfo.huji.ac.il/patches/Win-xp/msjavwu.exe or v. 3805 from
here:
http://www.sijet.com/msjavx86.exe

Then upgrade to v. 3810:

For all OS's except Win2kSP4 obtain v. 3810 here:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050022631 ,or here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/m...l/MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe

For Win2k - SP2, SP3 - you can also obtain v. 3810 from Microsoft here:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-9b18-423356321682/Q816093_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe

For Win2kSP4, to get 3810 from Microsoft you now have to get Q816093 from
Windows Update Catalog - use the procedure given in the Q820101 link given
above for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition (Yes, Win98x/SE - it's
not a mistake). You can find directions for using the Windows Update
Catalog functions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166.

Both Java VM's can co-exist on your machine quite nicely. Just select which
one you want to use in Tools|Internet Options|Advanced and restart all IE
browsers. Here, courtesy of Mitch Gallant, MVP Security, is a tiny utility
which allows you to toggle and view status of your current Java VM vendor
associated with IE:
http://www.jensign.com/JavaScience/SelectIEJVM/index.html

A note from Mitch Gallant:

"One note about the JVM Selector utility: If/when you install a new
version of Sun J2SE, you need to manually select to have Sun JVM as default
JVM for IE (in install), or after install via the JavaPlugin control panel.
This generates the necessary win32 registry entries, which must be present
for the utility to know about JavaPlugin. After that, the utility should
work properly."

Java and JavaScript are two different things. See here for tutorials on
the differences:

http://www.jsr.communitech.net/difference.htm
http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/639301

For JavaScript: download the latest engine for your particular OS here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=jscript&DisplayLang=en
Get both "Windows Script 5.6" and "JScript 5.6 Security Patch" for your
particular OS.

--

J-Man said:
[...]

Back