Is there a limit of number of nodes for a TreeView?

  • Start date Start date

Chris

Hi,

I am using TreeView control from .Net Framework 1.1. Everything works if the
number of nodes is not too big.
When the number reaches thousands and the tree is fully expeanded , some
nodes(the nodes at the end) are missing.

Is there a limit for the number of nodes? If yes, how can I work around this
issue?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

As far as I know, there isn't any limitation on the node count of TreeView.
If you add thousands of nodes to the TreeView, you can try to set a
breakpoint on the nodes loading code to check if the specific node has been
added to the tree node collection. Also, are the same nodes missing from
the treeview each time?

Kevin Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

==========================
==========================

rights.)

Hello!
You wrote on Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:37:58 GMT:

KYM> As far as I know, there isn't any limitation on the node count of
KYM> TreeView. If you add thousands of nodes to the TreeView, you can try

Is .NET TreeView mapped to ComCtl32 treeview? The latter one has a limit of
65K nodes, if memory serves.

With best regards,
Eugene Mayevski

Thanks, that seems to be true.
I just added counting of nodes, it goes up to 95K nodes.
It seems I need to create my own tree view.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

You might also just have a paint update problem. I'm sure you've looked at
this but make sure you're halting screen updating with:

TreeView.BeginUpdate();
// ..Add nodes....
TreeView.EndUpdate();

....also, consider only loading nodes on demand. This is a more acceptable
pracice for huge lists. Trick is to load dummy nodes and them, when user
clicks on the parent, which is loaded, it replaces the dummy with the actual
next node.....look this one up on the internet.....scores of examples of how
to do it...

Good luck,
tim

Back