interval when GC is run

  • Start date Start date

What is the interval when garbage collection is run and is there a way to
monitor it through Perfmon?

Hello Roger,

There is no time interval, GC runs in 3 cases

1) Allocation exceeds the Gen0 threshold;
2) System.GC.Collect is called;
3) System is in low memory situation;

R> What is the interval when garbage collection is run and is there a
R> way to monitor it through Perfmon?

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Hello Roger,

The threshold of GC is not cleary fixed, it depends on CPU cache.
AFAIK there is no perfcounter to monitor this

But, could u explain why do u need to monitor this?

R> is there a counter in perfmon that can monitor the threshold?
R>
R> "Michael Nemtsev" wrote:
R>---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, I have an asp.net 2.0 app, and I have a a few singleton objects
declared. And for some reason, I can navigate around for awhile and then for
no reason and never in the same place and never the same time, during
development I can thrown out. If I look at the detail info, it is on one of
my objects. Cursious to determine is GC is collecting it or not.

Hello Roger,

Try to play with these counters

.net CLR Memory/# Bytes in all Heaps
.net CLR Memory/% Time in GC
.net CLR Memory/Large Object Heap size
.net CLR Loading/Bytes in Loader Heap
.net CLR Loading/Current Assemblies

R> Well, I have an asp.net 2.0 app, and I have a a few singleton objects
R> declared. And for some reason, I can navigate around for awhile and
R> then for no reason and never in the same place and never the same
R> time, during development I can thrown out. If I look at the detail
R> info, it is on one of my objects. Cursious to determine is GC is
R> collecting it or not.
R>
R> "Michael Nemtsev" wrote:
R>---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

There is tool named CLRProfiler check out

Debasish Pramanik
Assetlink India.
Phone: +91 20 26119531 (226)

Back