Internet Filter by C# Code

  • Start date Start date

Joey Powell

I would like to know if anyone has any information on how to write C#
code to "intercept" http traffic to and from websites.

Not that I'm trying to re-invent the wheel here, but I am having a
very hard time in finding some out-of-the box software to do what I
consider to be something relatively simple.

I have about 50 Windows NT 4.0 workstation boxes that I would like to
control internet access on. I want to be able to block all traffic,
except that to or from websites that are on a "whitelist" that I
create.

That's it! I don't need a million bells and whistles. I don't need 50
security setting options...all I need is the capability to use a
whitelist.

We were using the noaccess.rat configuration of Content Advisor (both
free and built into IE). That was perfect at first, but it has proven
to be totally incompatible with javascript (buttons, etc...).

I also have tried...

Net Nanny 5 = Crappy, ineffective, whitelist didn't work

CyberSitter

Norton Internet Securities = Would not run on NT4. What's up with
that? What brainiac led that development project? Contrary to what
this would seem to indicate, many businesses are still using NT4. We
are using it. Many other companies that I am aware of are also still
using it. Those software companies that continue to put out software
that will not run on it are only hurting themselves. The framework and
..net apps have no problem with it!

Do you guys have any code samples on how to do this? Any other
suggesstions?

Joey,

I just wanted to say that C# is probably not the best choice for a
system-level application like this. I believe plain C++ is much better here
as you will need to do lots of low-level API calls.

As a ready-made solution, you can take a look at AtGuard. It's actually a
firewall, but its settings can be password-protected so you will be able to
employ its Ad-Blocking facility as a kind of black/white list.

--
Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
X-Unity Test Studio

news:[email protected]...

Hi joey

I think you can use the Microsoft's winproxy for Windows Nt 4.0 to get what
you want.
If you want to implement a proxy yourself by C#, you can refer to the
articles below:
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/internet/web_proxy.asp

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Joey Powell)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
| Subject: Internet Filter by C# Code
| Date: 29 Sep 2003 20:48:11 -0700
|
| I would like to know if anyone has any information on how to write C#
| code to "intercept" http traffic to and from websites.
|
| Not that I'm trying to re-invent the wheel here, but I am having a
| very hard time in finding some out-of-the box software to do what I
| consider to be something relatively simple.
|
| I have about 50 Windows NT 4.0 workstation boxes that I would like to
| control internet access on. I want to be able to block all traffic,
| except that to or from websites that are on a "whitelist" that I
| create.
|
| That's it! I don't need a million bells and whistles. I don't need 50
| security setting options...all I need is the capability to use a
| whitelist.
|
| We were using the noaccess.rat configuration of Content Advisor (both
| free and built into IE). That was perfect at first, but it has proven
| to be totally incompatible with javascript (buttons, etc...).
|
| I also have tried...
|
| Net Nanny 5 = Crappy, ineffective, whitelist didn't work
|
| CyberSitter
|
| Norton Internet Securities = Would not run on NT4. What's up with
| that? What brainiac led that development project? Contrary to what
| this would seem to indicate, many businesses are still using NT4. We
| are using it. Many other companies that I am aware of are also still
| using it. Those software companies that continue to put out software
| that will not run on it are only hurting themselves. The framework and
| .net apps have no problem with it!
|
| Do you guys have any code samples on how to do this? Any other
| suggesstions?

Back
Top