Internet Explorer hangs when submitting form

Reaction score
I came across this forum while trying to solve a problem I was having. I finally figured out the answer, and thought I'd post here to hopefully help someone else.

I started Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, went to Google, and searched. IE took several minutes to show results. Trying to close it during that time gives the "Not Responding" message. Searching for same term again after the results show gives quick response. Searching for a different term gives slow response. Restarting IE and searching for same term gives slow response.

I found that if I turn off AutoComplete for forms, this fixed the problem.

I had earlier set a few services to "manual" instead of "automatic", thinking that if they were ever needed, they would then start up. One of these was "Protected Storage". I found that if that service is actually running (either because it is set to "automatic" when I bootup, or because I manually start it), then the problem does not occur.

Conclusion: Set the "Protected Storage" service to start automatically. This is probably a good rule even if not using AutoComplete, because it may affect other things.

Back