Internet Explorer Crashes on particular sites

Hi guys,

I have recently been experiencing a random problem, in which IE6 and other
browsers either crassh while loading and I have to end task on the process
(IE6) other browsers just shut down automatically rendering me with the
desktop.

The most recent and important site that i need to see is this:

www.irsclinic.com

My browser just crashes. Is there an error log that will determine the
problem? Or what features does this particular site use which is causing me
trouble? I thought maybe a bad installation of Java but I am really not too
good with this sort of thing.

I would really appreciate any help guys! this is driving me crazy!

Many Thanks in advance

Jan Il

Hi Jasper :)

It could be a couple of things. Try the following as it applies to your OS
and see if it helps:

Update your video driver:
If you don't know the loacation of your Video driver, or how to find it:
Location for XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314854
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/learnmore/updatingdrivers.mspx
or......
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314854
Find the information on your video driver. Then go to the website for mfg.
of the video driver and look for the update to download and install. There
may also be a Update Driver button on the dialog box you can use to go
direct to the update download site.

also........

Try reducing hardware acceleration:
Right click on the Desktop on an open area,
Properties>Settings>Advanced>Troubleshoot
Move the slider back to the left a little and test to see if that helps.
Try it at increments until you get all the way to the left end to see if
that helps.

or...

You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

and...

Check the following:

1.) HOSTS file located @/in %WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc

(Open it with Notepad.exe and see if those sites are equated to ANY IP
address - this is because this file can either speedup OR block sites.
Equating a site's URL to 127.0.0.1 will block that site, and/or possibly
equating it to a REAL IP address for the purposes of speeding up a site can
misfire IF the site owners change the IP address of that URL for said
concerned website)

The HOSTS file needs only 1 entry -

localhost 127.0.0.1

(And, you can get away without one period, IF your system is not attached to
a LAN/WAN network... a standalone system can operate without HOSTS period!)

2.) This area in the registry, for HOSTS file databasepath redirections:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

The default from Microsoft for the "DataBasePath" entry is
%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc (as mentioned above in #1)... if it is
otherwise, change it to that, or (using C:\WINNT for Windows 2000 or
C:\WINDOWS for Windows XP/2003) to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\etc

IPSecurity Policies in secpol.msc - this can be used for the purposes of
blocking out sites, i.e.-> A "poor man's" firewall of sorts.

Any firewall program you use – Zone Alarm, for instance/example, can
block out sites and their cookies (which some sites require for using their
stuff).

IE Restricted Zones via Control Panel> Internet Options> Security
Tab> and clicking on the "Restricted sites" to highlight them and then edit
it
using the SITES button.

If you have Zone Alarm Pro, go to the "Privacy Tab", Main, Options and open
the Site List. You will find a number of sites that have various "cookie
controls" blocked. Unblock those on the sites you are getting the red X's.
However, this will allow 3rd party cookies and some other things you may not
want, but, it should eliminate the problem. SpyBot will block cookies for
things such as avenue A, etc.

Hope this helps :)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Hi Jan,

Thankyou very much for the detailed response.

I will go threw your list and tick them off as I go. I do have zone alarm
pro, but even with that disabled my browsers still crash on particular sites.
By chance I found another one today:

www.wordtracker.com

Does the exact same thing, so its got to be something driver wise or indeed
that scripting as your described.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks very much for the help!

Hi Jan,

Unfortunately no luck.

I have followed your intructions carefully and updated video driver...
reinstalled scripting. allowed sites through internet options and zonealarm.
Switched zonealarm off and tried reloading the site and receive the same
result.
The Hosts file only outlines that 1 IP address which should be in there.

:(

This is the information in the XP error report I receive when I have to end
task when the window crashes:

szAppName : IEXPLORE.EXE szAppVer : 6.0.2600.0 szModName : hungapp

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\XXXX\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6.tmp.dir00\IEXPLORE.EXE.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\XXXX\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

why can that not be written in English lol.

Thanks again for your help, have you anymore ideas I could try?

Kind Regards,

jasper

Jan Il

Hi Jasper :)

Something is blocking these sites. There are several things that can cause
this kind of problem, so often it is a matter of elimination.

First, have you checked to see if you really have that file in Locals?

And you might also try the following:

Try deleting the History and Temporary Internet Files *folders*
for the user account having the problem. See:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Additional info at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers_5.htm#wininet

If you have any 3rd party toolbars, such as Yahoo, Google or Yahoo
Companion, disable them.

Make sure that the sites are in you IE Trusted Zone:

and.....

Cannot browse certain websites
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10082

SpyBot Search & Destroy: Check the following there under Tools
(Advanced Mode) and see if there is anything related to any of the sites you
can't access. When you highlight an item, it gives details about it. If you
find anything, remove it or set to ignore.

HOSTS
ActiveX
Opt Out

If you have SpywareBlaster, check the Internet Explorer tab Block list and
see if there is anything there that looks like the sites you are trying to
access. Remove it or set to ignore. Also, check the Restricted Sites tab
and see if there is anything there, if so, remove or ignore. Check under
the Tools and click the Flash Killer tab and make sure it's unchecked.

If you have McAfee, there are issues. See here:

Disable the McAfee ActiveX controls Applet filters in the Internet Filter
window when you select Customize your VShield settings

also.....

Tools>Internet Options>Security>Advanced>Custom Level> change each of the
ActiveX Controls setting respectively down the list to the following:

Change the following in order:
Prompt
Disable
Disable
Prompt
Prompt

Log on as Administrator
Go To Start>Run>type in ReGsvr32.exe softPUB.DLL "
Change the IE Settings: Tools>Internet Options>Security>Setting>set to
Medium or Low...

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
page. As a result pages may not display correctly."
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/acxen.htm
or
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN;Q319585&LN=EN

Here are a few others, although I'm not sure they may apply:

- Go to IE6 Tools/Internet Options/Privacy tab, then click Edit. enter
"hotmail.com" and then click the Allow tab. Evidently there is a Hotmail
problem with privacy
settings/corrupted cookies.

- Check in Internet Explorer under Tools/Internet Options/Security that the
user has not changed the password setting from 'prompt for username and
password' to 'anonymous logon' in Internet Zone. The option setting for
anonymous logon
may cause the
error.

Make sure that cookie settings aren't too restrictive in Internet Options>
Privacy. Setting passport.com, passport.net, hotmail.com, msn.com as "always
accept" may help. Or a setting of "low" or "accept all" should be OK. More
on privacy settings at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/ie6.mspx

Internet Explorer stops responding or crashes, and you receive an access
violation in Vgx.dll, when you view a Web page in Internet Explorer 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;885932

Update for Internet Explorer 6 for XP Service Pack 2 (KB885932)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4d-899f-425c-b2a4-893ba3a16d71&DisplayLang=en

Other possibilities at:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700
http://v2.tlab404.com/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=269

Also... you might try doing a System Restore to a time before the problem
started to see if that would help.

If all the above fails, then do a repair of the IE:
First, disable your AV:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
The section Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install
Internet
Explorer 6 works on earlier versions of Windows.

Be sure to visit Windows Update site and let it scan for all needed updates
and service packs afterward.

Hope this helps :)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Don Varnau

Hi,
The two sites you've listed http://www.irsclinic.com/ and
http://www.wordtracker.com/ use Javascript, but nothing else that should
give IE trouble.

If refreshing your scripting engine didn't help, you might try reregistering
these two DLLs
Run these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Next, reregister (regsvr32) all DLLs listed in the "Resolution" section of
this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Next, another program (maybe legitimate- maybe malware) is probably
interfering with scripting. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum at times.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

[...]