internet and acrobat probs

  • Start date Start date

MajBach

Hi! After an extensive search on several NGs, I found two others with the
same problem but no one with a solution. Here's one axample:

This one is ironic. Whenever Acrobat (I have version 5.0) or the Reader
loads, it kills my internet connection. I run Windows 98 SE and use a
one-way cable modem with dynamic IP address. My ISP tech support had never
seen this one before, but they did help me figure out that, for some reason,
when Acrobat (or Reader) loads, my PC forgets the IP address it has been
assigned. I have to reboot to get another one. This is amazingly annoying
since I generally want to be online while using these products, either
reading PDF files or checking out ones I have posted.
Newsgroups: adobe.acrobat.windows
From: GaryA <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:12:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Acrobat kills my internet connection
Report Abuse

This is a wild shot in the dark, but... Search your hard disk for a file
named AOM.exe. Either delete it or rename it to aom.bak and see if the
problem goes away.

I've deleted the above mentioned file but it makes no difference. What
ecould be causing this? I'm using WinME and a DSL pppoe internet connection.
Thanks a heap!!

Hi MajBach :-)

Try the following and see if it helps:

Clear your cache
Tools>Internet Options>click Delete Files and see if it's reproducible.

also..try registering the pdf.ocx file. Information here:

Troubleshooting problems opening PDF files in Internet Explorer window:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm

or -

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Adobe reader from the Add/Remove
programs.

also..

IE browser software defaults Acrobat Reader to "OFF" to display PDF files.
You can restore the setting to"ON" by finding an Acrobat document and then
opening it.

Then click Edit> Preferences> Internet> check the box nect to "Display PDF
in browser"

If still no joy, try the information here:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm
http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/files.htm

Hope this helps :-)

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

EXCELLENT! I haven't tried these yet but they look promising. Thank you!
I'll let you know.....

MajBach

Back
Top