Installing Updates (to W2kS)

A

alan sinclair

This is a new area for me so i need advice please (or a redirection to the right NG!) on how to
standardise updating our customers' Windows 2000 Server platform over the ongoing Windows security
fixes, upgrades & service packs, etc. I'm the install engineer here, and i'm being asked to make an
installer for OS updates; I don't know yet if it's possible to do this, or if it's a Real Bad Idea.

Our product runs on dedicated Windows 2000 Server (no other apps installed). We can't run our
entire testing every time a new OS fix comes out. Instead we plan to schedule OS updates once an
month, and test fully on the monthly-updated OS.

The problem we see is that if we get all fixes from MS on say, the first of the month, then by
mid-month when we complete our testing there may be newer fixes available from MS, which we do not
want our customers to use yet -- we can't just tell customers to get all the latest fixes. Thus the
idea for our own OS-update installer.

What's a good solution for this?

thanks
Alan

Ask a Question