Installing a new hard drive JC

  • Start date Start date

Installing a new Hard Drive JC

I installed a new hard drive because my old one was too small, a 70GB
10,000rpm
drive. It was 98% full.
I coppied my old drive to the new 750 GB drive.

I have Windows Vista ultimate 64 and I got a message stating that I have 2
days to
give it an activation key. I am going on a trip tomorrow and will be back
next week.

I typed in the product key from the software and it states that the product
is in use.
I then went to pay the 60$ (which I think is robbery) to try and get a reply
and it took my money but there was no form to ask the question. I called my
Visa and they said the charge went through. Again another VISTA joke on me.
It already took me 2 Vista installs when I originally installed it on my
computer in other words I bought 2 upgrades for 1 install. I attempted
several times to contact you all lines were busy no one answered. So I spent
another $$$ and installed the 64 version and now you want another 60 $ .

Please let me know what I can do and hopefully my computer works when I get
home from my trip.

Thank-you,

FRUSTRATED

You know there is a toll free activation number..one call and a quick
explanation would have solved this problem.
And we are not Microsoft...we are a group of users ,like you..well maybe
better informed than you.
We would have researched the move to another hard drive to see what needed
to be done before we did it.

and if you do not solve this by means of the phone call ..it aint gonna fix
itself while your gone!!!

How do I activate Windows?
You can activate either online or by phone. To activate online you need an
Internet connection. Activating by phone requires interacting with an
automated phone system.
To activate Windows on this computer, do the following:

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button , clicking Computer,
clicking Properties, and then clicking Click here to activate Windows now.‌
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation.

You can then select the method you want to use to activate.

NoteIf you chose to automatically activate Windows online when you set up
your computer, automatic activation begins trying to activate your copy of
Windows three days after you log on for the first time.

peter

"Installing a new Hard Drive JC" <Installing a new Hard Drive
news:[email protected]...

You should have kept the activation screen open and called the toll-free
activation center number. The agent will activate you over the phone. It
is not necessary to file a support request.

"Installing a new Hard Drive JC" <Installing a new Hard Drive
news:[email protected]...

As you are going away tomorrow and probably don' want to be bothered
telephoning the windows activation line I suggest you take a look at his
quick solution on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/run_windows_vista_for_120_days.htm

Once you come back from your trip you can the activate properly by calling
the toll free number. This article will give you an idea of the procedure:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product_key_already_in_use.htm

Sadly you have just wasted $60 on a problem that has a simple solution.
Before even considering contacting Microsoft Support the first option would
be to Google the problem. If that doesn't come up with an answer (link to a
website or newsgroups with your problem or similar) then, frankly, your
problem hasn't yet been invented:-)

I can't say whether it would work or not, but you might try emailing
Microsoft customer service to see if your could get your money back. After
all, if they took your money and you couldn't explain the problem how were
they to know what problem you had in the first place. Seems a bit strange
taking money off someone without offering a service for it.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Installing a new Hard Drive JC" <Installing a new Hard Drive

Back
Top