Inform your Customers

  • Start date Start date

I just upgraded my Laptop to Windows Vista Home Premium, primarly for the
Movie Making enhancements in the Vista Version. After installing Vista, and
trying load the Movie Maker, I was informed that my video card does not
support it.

This is very upsetting as the Windows Vista Upgrade advisor indicated that
my Laptop was the 'IDEAL' machine for Windows Vista.

After doing extensive research, I have found that my Intel 915 Chipset is
not supported for AERO Glass capability, no problem, but to discover that I
just spent 300.00 for a new operating system with LESS capability is just
plain wrong.

You should either make these items workable, reguardless of AERO capability
or FORCE Intel to provide a 915 Driver.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...crosoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices

Laptops need at least a Intel 950 to run vista properly.

"Display, Video Card, Movie Maker" <Display, Video Card, Movie
news:[email protected]...

Why am I seeing all of these post's about people complaing about there
intergrated graphics not running aero, it is clearly stated that it requires
128mb of graphics memory! There are no intergrated cards that I have seen
that have more than 64mb of graphics memory, most have 32 or less!

"Display, Video Card, Movie Maker" <Display, Video Card, Movie
news:[email protected]...

This is for home premium, which is the lowest version that has aero. I got
this off the windows vista website.
Windows Vista Home Premium
Recommended system requirements
a.. 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

b.. 1 GB of system memory

c.. 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

d.. Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

a.. WDDM Driver

b.. 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

c.. Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

d.. 32 bits per pixel

e.. DVD-ROM drive

f.. Audio Output

g.. Internet access (fees may apply)

I bought Doom 3 for my 486 and it didn't run... Why not?

Sorry for being so blunt, but thats basically the case. Check the system
requirements. Don't jump into it so blindly. Microsoft has the Upgrade
Advisor available for download. Run it and it will tell you what won't
work with Vista.

Dustin Harper
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.vistarip.com

Most current integrated video chipsets can use at least 128 MB, some will
use 256 MB. It is sometime dependent on the amount of RAM installed. I'm
currently typing this on a notebook with an integrated ATI X1100 chipset
with 128 of shared RAM for the video. Aero Glass works very well.

Dustin said:
I bought Doom 3 for my 486 and it didn't run... Why not?

Sorry for being so blunt, but thats basically the case. Check the
system requirements. Don't jump into it so blindly. Microsoft has the
Upgrade Advisor available for download. Run it and it will tell you
what won't work with Vista.

You must have missed this part of the OP's post:

"This is very upsetting as the Windows Vista Upgrade advisor indicated that
my Laptop was the 'IDEAL' machine for Windows Vista."

I understood they were not complaining that their laptop doesn't run Vista
well, but rather that they purchased vista because the upgrade advisor you
just pointed them at claimed it ran it very well indeed.

Personally, I think the upgrade advisor is full of crud and I don't trust a
word it says, but that's just me.

Robert Moir said:
You must have missed this part of the OP's post:

"This is very upsetting as the Windows Vista Upgrade advisor indicated that
my Laptop was the 'IDEAL' machine for Windows Vista."

I understood they were not complaining that their laptop doesn't run Vista well, but rather
that they purchased vista because the upgrade advisor you just pointed them at claimed it ran
it very well indeed.
Personally, I think the upgrade advisor is full of crud and I don't trust a word it says, but
that's just me.

I absolutely agree.

-Michael

Did the person, who originally complained, go to his Laptop manufacturer
and check if his Laptop was compatible with Vista - before buying and installing it? Did he
check the Vista Hardware Compatibility list at MS? Also, the Upgrade Advisor
only "advises".... it's not meant to be a definitive decision making tool.

And BTW - no hardware manufacturer HAS to make their hardware Vista capable.
It can be expensive to provide the needed time and resources for compatibility updates
for new Operating Systems, and is some times just not worth it.

Perhaps, but I have Zero confidence in such petitions while I have more in
contacting the manufacturers directly.

Contacting the manufacturer directly normally give contact information while
such surveys such as this are usually anonymous with nothing more than a
name.

Hopefully there is a suggestion on that page to also contact the
manufacturer.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Teeravee Sirinapasawasdee"

I think you are all missing the point on the original post. Look at it more
closely, they don’t care if Aero Glass runs or not, they upgraded to Vista
for the Movie Maker enhancements and Movie Maker will not load because of the
915 chip.
I have the same problem, I cannot run Movie Maker either, when I start the
program it says, “Windows Movie Maker cannot start because your video card
does not support the required level of hardware acceleration or hardware
acceleration is not available.â€
I have the same 915 integrated chip.

Mark

Accually, in petition signing step, it asks user to write their e-mail
address. So that the owner of petition can have complete full list to send to
Intel and Intel can contact back to users who have an email address.

Back
Top