Inaccerssible boot device

  • Start date Start date

Wayne

Hi all,

Yesterday, when I started up my standalone computer, which does not connect to Internet, it has prompted the blue screen with a error message: 0x000007b( 0x81893BD0, 0x000009C,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000) inaccessible_boot_device.

I did not done anything on the machine and installed any software.I have checked the cable connections, all of them are
correct. I have tried to run in safe mode, it is also failed and get the same error message. I have tried to plug the harddisk, which is FAT32, to other PC, motherboard can recognize the harddisk but Windows Explorer cannot recognize it. I have tried to use a Windows98 bootup disk, I found that the file is still existing.

How can I reboot the computer successfully and get back all the data?Thank you very much!

Wayne

Hi, Wayne.

See if this page from the online WinXP Pro Resource Kit helps:

Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_xlxv.asp

It says, in part: "Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or
upgrading storage adapter hardware typically causes stop 0x7B errors. Stop
0x7B errors could also indicate possible virus infection."

You should have no problem accessing anything on this disk - EXCEPT that you
can't use it as a BOOT DEVICE. That's why, since it is formatted FAT32, you
could read it from an MS-DOS boot floppy. Or you can put the HD into a
different computer and access it. You should not have a problem except when
trying to BOOT FROM this drive.

I hope you can find a shortcut, but if not, you can recover everything by
doing an "in-place upgrade"; this will reinstall Win2K itself, but leave
your installed applications and data intact. See Microsoft's instructions
here:
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q292175&

If you had to use F6 to install HD drivers from a floppy during your
original Setup of Win2K on this HD, you will need to locate those drivers
and use F6 to install them again during this in-place upgrade.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

[...]

If you have another machine, you can place the drive in another machine.
Otherwise, you can place another drive on this machine and install the OS.
At that point you may be able to extract the data from the other drive.
However, before trying the above suggestion, try this.
Boot into recovery console.
If you can boot into recovery console successfully and you are prompted for
a password, you are able to read from the hard drive.
From recovery console run chkdsk /r.
Then see if you can get into the system by typing exit and letting the
machine restart.

There are two places during boot that you generally receive this error.
One is immediately on startup and the other is during the display of the
splash screen. If it is the first one (immediately) it is an issue with
the driver for the hard drive controller. If the error is generated during
the splash screen, about 3/4 of the way down, then it is probably caused by
a filter driver.

Joe Griffin [MS]