I'm losing time...?

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I've sort of vaguely noticed dicrepencies occasionally before with the larger work units but I'm afraid I didn't really pay much more attention than A vague thought that "surely it ought to be more than that?" Then kept on my way (I aint the most alert in the mornings:rolleyes: )

But last night I was definitely watching (waiting for my first points for the team:) )
Last night I went to bed I was 38% through a work unit with 14 & half hours to go. Goody thinks I, maybe some credit on the next stats posting (all allowing for BOINC's verification).

This morning however I'm 51% through with 13 hours to go. was off the comp (supposedly crunching away) for 8 hours... so where did the other 6 & half hours go?
My screen goes sleepy byes after 15 mins. But I checked when I first set up BOINC/Rosetta & the comp was definitely still crunching away after & that includes a few all night checks.
So... why is it crunching all night sometimes... & other times... (I suspect MOST times given my slow rate of credit acumulation) it's not running more than an hour or two?:confused:

All help definitely appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't Know how Mac OS work - but in whatever the equivalent of windows taskmanager is on Macs - what % CPU usage is boinc showing?

Edit: Also in your boinc default profile over at your WCG page - under basic options - do you have 'Do work only between the hours of' set from 12am to 12am?

Last edited:
I don't think you are 'loosing time' but the Time to Completion is not accurate ... ignore it.

Don't use a screen-saver, but you can put your monitor to sleep, or, as in my case, the monitor powers off after 10mins.

Also there are some BIG work units out there ... I had one on my 3200 that took 12hours ... it is still pending validation, but has potential to give me over 2,000 points if validated as is.

And ... I still see no offical statment that Boinc for Mac has been released ... so you are probably still in a Beta stage. :(

I concur with what Mucks says, also check your laptop power saving settings as well in case something is shutting down after X minutes....

I did not know cirianz was using a laptop, I thought I was the only one using laptop. If you are than I can give you a few tips

Quadophile said:
I did not know cirianz was using a laptop, I thought I was the only one using laptop. If you are than I can give you a few tips
Yep, she's using a Mac Lappy :thumb:

I have a Lappy crunching as well - a 1.7Ghz Pentium M, its really flying now with tweaked boinc on it - its doubled my points over the WCG UD Agent :cool:

:)

Adywebb said:
Yep, she's using a Mac Lappy :thumb:

I have a Lappy crunching as well - a 1.7Ghz Pentium M, its really flying now with tweaked boinc on it - its doubled my points over the WCG UD Agent :cool:

:)

Thanks Ady, now it makes more sense ;)

By the way, if you are using a lappy, have tried the software, Notebook Hardware Control? If not it is a great software no lappy user should be without. If not, here is the link to download it from. ;)

If you need any help let me know.

Quadophile said:
By the way, if you are using a lappy, have tried the software, Notebook Hardware Control? If not it is a great software no lappy user should be without. If not, here is the link to download it from. ;)

If you need any help let me know.
Thanks Quad, looks a good program - I'll bookmark it for future reference, but it seems to run lovely and cool 24/7 365 crunching away with no problems as it is:thumb:

muckshifter said:
I don't think you are 'loosing time' but the Time to Completion is not accurate ... ignore it.

Don't use a screen-saver, but you can put your monitor to sleep, or, as in my case, the monitor powers off after 10mins.

Also there are some BIG work units out there ... I had one on my 3200 that took 12hours ... it is still pending validation, but has potential to give me over 2,000 points if validated as is.

And ... I still see no offical statment that Boinc for Mac has been released ... so you are probably still in a Beta stage. :(

This morning I am 81.49% complete with 6:33:44 to go.

I double checked my settings & my comp is set so the monitor goes to sleep after 20 mins & the comp itself goes bed byes never.
Boinc becomes active after 3 mins of inactivity & I never use any screen savers. It is set to use 100% of available resources. It stops running when I go onto battery of course, but I very seldom run on battery so that is negligible. Interestingly I see that that Boinc is listing the WU as running & the Numbers are ticking over, however I did set it not to run when i was using the comp (I found on the Lappy that it did slow things down considerable, especially if I am running several applications at once... ie all the time & it causes annoying 'hiccups' when I opened new applications or reloaded pages) If that's reset itself somehow then maybe that explains some of the trouble I've been having over the last couple of days. Was begining to wonder if i had a virus despite what clamXav was saying.

I tried to double check my Boinc settings according to their own instructions, but, since i cant seem to find any link to 'my account' as instructed, that has been a real exercise in futility. Boinc may speed things up on the computer... but they have to have one of the most poorly organised, Un navigable & frustrating sites I've ever encountered, barring only the NZ govt & Otago university sites:rolleyes:

Boinc may speed things up on the computer... but they have to have one of the most poorly organised, Un navigable & frustrating sites I've ever encountered
Yup ...
nod.gif

Now you know why I hate it ... if the thing is still "ticking over", just leave it, it's all you can do for now.

Hopefully WCG will get it right eventually ... don't worry unduly over it, I can always give you a starter of a 1,000 points. :D

Back