IE6 Runtime Error

  • Start date Start date

I am having problems with W2k machine running IE 6. Upon clickng icon it puts
up a error message -" Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Libary"
" Runtime Error!"
"Program: C:|Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplorer.exe"

Virus & spyware software is up to date and found a couple of medium level
trojans which it deleted.

Funny thing is I can lanuch IE from the control panel window by clicking on
"windows update" or "windows 200 support" on the left hnd side.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi,

Another program (possibly malware) is probably interfering with IE. From
Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party
browser extensions." Does that allow IE to open?

The offender may simply be a BHO (Browser Helper Object.) BHO Demon 2.0 from
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm will allow you to easily
disable suspicious or unknown BHOs.

This has been caused by the CommonNames parasite.
See: http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/CommonName.html

Or this could be caused by another parasite. Try CWShredder, Ad-aware and
Spybot.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.
Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Many malware programs/files must be removed manually. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums. Look for the
proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so that you follow
proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php

Or...
A legitimate program running in the background may be causing this. Disable
(for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers, toolbars,
security, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at any program that might be
interacting with IE. You may have to reinstall, or not reinstall, a program.

Another possibility:
From Internet Options> Advanced, if you have Sun Java and microsoft VM
(virtual machine) uncheck Sun Java.
More information on Java and Microsoft VM issues at
http://javatester.org/
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm

The "clean boot" troubleshooting method may help you find the program that's
causing this.
276393 - Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP IE/OE]

"george" wrote in message

Don,

Thanks for the info...unchecking the option to allow 3rd party extensions
worked!

I am now working thru so of the other suggestions you posted.....

Its just funny that this one computer in our office picks up malwareor
viruses every 3 to 6 months even with everthing up to date!

George

Back
Top