IE6 problem - Class doesn't support Automation error

Mel

Can anyone help here. I've looked through the forum and
see a similar problem when someone tried to print, but I
get this message just by openeing a page to view. When
clicking on a link page that should contain some
information, it comes up blank. Error message when opened
up says for example:
Line: 1009
Char: 1
Error: Class doesn't support Automation
Code: 0
The same message is displayed when openeing other url
addresses, not only the one above and the line
number,char etc may be different.
Hope someone can help as this is only a new problem
cropped up last week or so!!!!

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Mel said:
Can anyone help here. I've looked through the forum and
see a similar problem when someone tried to print, but I
get this message just by openeing a page to view. When
clicking on a link page that should contain some
information, it comes up blank. Error message when opened
up says for example:
Line: 1009
Char: 1
Error: Class doesn't support Automation
Code: 0
The same message is displayed when openeing other url
addresses, not only the one above and the line
number,char etc may be different.
Hope someone can help as this is only a new problem
cropped up last week or so!!!!

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/scriptdb.htm

Go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced.
Check the box to Disable script debugging.
Uncheck the box to Display a notification about every script error.

You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

David Powell

I have had this same problem you describe for a long time.
I would be very pleased to get a solution.
Our corporate on-site support has been unable to solve it.
I am now on IE 6 SP 1 but it started on 5.x and persists.
I run Windows 2000 (SP 1 plus fixes).

Re-installing Windows Script 5.6 doesn't fix it.

It occurs when a window is opened in javascript code.
Two examples of code that is highlighted in the debugger
(separate sites):
1: window.opener.main
2: if
((window.opener.document.photo.projects_link_url_0.name
== ''))...

I'm not sure that the "windows.opener" method is always
called - but it's always on a browser program's attempt to
open a subordinate window.

Thanks
David

dcdon

Hi David,

I got in fine.
I'm running W2KSP4 with all security patches and
any other I felt I needed, IE6SP1
To compare with someone else go here to install
little program that gives all the hardware and
software you are running.
http://www.belarc.com/
click FREE DOWNLOAD and download on the next page.
It is not invasive or a trap site (like you really
know me)
If it has anything to do with any Java, I do have
1.4.2 at Sun Micro.
--
good computing,
don

"David Powell" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

The following two historical posts show that this has
occurred in the past since IE3 - and apparently no answer
short of re-installing Windows has been adequate.
Sorry about all the quoting - but these posters list their
dead ends. May save us.
(Google Groups was useful for finding these.)

[POST 1]

From: Enrico Papalini ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Class doesn't support Automation

Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Date: 2002-05-31 03:46:40 PST

I've the same problem: when Javascript try to execute
window.open()
method, the window is open but I get an error "Class
doesn't support
the automation".

This error doesn't allow me to use the "windows update"
site.

---
I've tried:
1. to re-register a lot of DLLs as I read in the
article 'The "Open in
a New Window" Command May Not Work (Q272322)'
us;Q272322

2. to re-install IE6 and repatch it with all the security
updates

3. to re-install last MS JavaVM and MS Script Engine 5.6

4. to remove the "Update" class from "Downloaded Program
Files" and
reinstall it

THE ERROR IS STILL PRESENT.

Any ideas?

Help me.
Enrico

(e-mail address removed) (Mike SorCrer) wrote in message

[POST 2]

H Leboeuf

Automation server can't create object
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=274486 ( ME )

Could be caused by BHOs or spywares, Spywares, BHOs Or:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

This error is known as a 430 error. Check this out.
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/er430.htm
--

Need to check your Java?
http://n6hb.org/s-a/JAVA-ts.htm#ie_jvm

Henri Leboeuf

From: Enrico Papalini ([email protected])

Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Date: 2002-05-31 03:46:40 PST

[...]

Hi All,

I realise this might be the wrong group but I am desperate for a
solution to this problem.

Whenever I hit a page which has a javascript (window.opener) pop-up,
my browser throws a 'Class doesn't support Automation' error. The same
happens when I script a pop-up. An identical machine doesn't throw
this error. It appears as if something has gone awry somwhere, BUT
what!!!

I have read practically every message I can find in the newsgroups
about this problem, which appears to go back to IE3???? I have
reinstalled the browser(5.5 & 6 ), installed the latest MDAC as
suggested in some postings, re-installed the latest JVM and hotfix and
I get zero, zip in the way of joy.

I do not want to re-install the OS but will take that as last option.
I do not understand that if so many people have had this problem, why
I cannot find a resolution.

IE5.5
Win2k Pro SP2

Regards