ie6 no longer works in xp pro sp2

I appear to have corrupted ie6 so that it no longer starts up. All files
seem to be there. Have tried scannow and ms article 318378 with no luck.
Wondering whether to reinstall sp2 perhaps?

Don Varnau

Hi,
This is usually caused by another program- often malware. Start by disabling
suspicious or unknown add-ons to IE from IE> Tools> Manage add-ons.
See: 883256- How to manage Internet Explorer add-ons in Windows XP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883256

Then download and run CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot (in that order.)
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

If unsuccessful with those programs, you may have to post a HijackThis log
to one of the forums listed below. You will receive good help at any of
these forums. You might look for a forum that doesn't have too many
unanswered posts. You should also look for the proper forum for HijackThis
logs and a message along the lines of "Important- Read This First."

HijackThis instructions and download:
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe
(Additional information and warnings)
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.php#hjt

Forums:
http://forum.mvps.org/ Excellent help- low traffic. Visit
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 before posting the log.

http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

Or...
A legitimate program running in the background may be causing this. Disable
(for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers, security,
anti-virus, etc. You may have to reinstall, or not reinstall, a program.

This (lengthy) troubleshooting process may help:
276393 - Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393

To repair/reinstall IE6 after installing (XP) SP2, it's been recommended
that SP2 be uninstalled before using either method in

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

I am pretty sure it is not a virus or malware. I run spybot, adaware and avg
antivirus regularly. I was cleaning out reminents of norton antivirus 2003

FredNZ said:
I appear to have corrupted ie6 so that it no longer starts up. All files
seem to be there. Have tried scannow and ms article 318378 with no luck.
Wondering whether to reinstall sp2 perhaps?

I am unable to actually open ie. The "hour glass" icon comes up but nothing
happens.

FredNZ said:
I appear to have corrupted ie6 so that it no longer starts up. All files
seem to be there. Have tried scannow and ms article 318378 with no luck.
Wondering whether to reinstall sp2 perhaps?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have run CWShredder-everything ok. I cannot
do some of the suggestions because I cannot run the programme as a
standalone, it does run in Outlook and Word (Office 2000 pro) using their web
capabilities. I have installed and run HijackThis and gone through the log.
I have gone through each entry and everything looks ok. There are certainly
no obvious virus problems-I can identify each item. I am no expert by any
means but, as I said, this issues started when I deleted, and did not keep,
some old Norton AntiVirus folders that did not delete in the uninstall.
Fred

FredNZ said:
I appear to have corrupted ie6 so that it no longer starts up. All files
seem to be there. Have tried scannow and ms article 318378 with no luck.
Wondering whether to reinstall sp2 perhaps?

Jan Il

Hi Fred :)
Thanks for the suggestions. I have run CWShredder-everything ok. I
cannot
do some of the suggestions because I cannot run the programme as a
standalone, it does run in Outlook and Word (Office 2000 pro) using their
web
capabilities. I have installed and run HijackThis and gone through the
log.
I have gone through each entry and everything looks ok. There are
certainly
no obvious virus problems-I can identify each item. I am no expert by any
means but, as I said, this issues started when I deleted, and did not
keep,
some old Norton AntiVirus folders that did not delete in the uninstall.
Fred

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem. Good job!

Thank you for posting back and letting us know what worked for you, and for
the benefit of other readers who might have a similar problem. :)

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

"FredNZ" <FredNZ[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I appear to have corrupted ie6 so that it no longer starts up. All
files
seem to be there. Have tried scannow and ms article 318378 with no
luck.
Wondering whether to reinstall sp2 perhaps?

Sorry, you are mistaken, I have not been able to resolve the problem at all.
IE won't run and I cannot get into the programme. I am now using Firefox
which does work fine, and the web searching capability in Outlook 2000 in
order to do those functions that I used to be able to do with IE. Very
frustrating given there does not appear to be any signs of a virus or malware.
Fred

Hi Fred :)

:

[...]

I have finally resolved this problem. Firstly, I did a registry clean up
using CCleaner downloaded from the Majorgeeks.com website. This got IE to
the stage where it actually named a file in the error message sfg_623b.dll.
Apparently this belongs to the Spycatcher programme but in any case deleted
this file allowed IE to burst into life once again. Many thanks to those who
posted help. I now know more than I ever wanted to about virus programmes
and other arcane topics.
Fred