IE6 Information Bar

  • Start date Start date

John Bowman

Hi,

I'm developing software that will run and access XML files ONLY on the
machine upon which it is installed. Every time I try to double click on a
test XML file on my system, that I've created for software testing purposes,
that @#$%^ Information bar comes up. Until I right click on it and choose
"Allow blocked content...", then choose "Yes" on the confirmation dialog, I
have NO ACCESS to the "+" or "-" symbols in the XML file while looking at it
in IE, they don't respond at all. This makes it very painful to study the
contents of a simple well formed XML file! The Information Bar help is
useless. All it says is it's possible to disable it, but they don't
recommend it. Furthermore, I can't figure out how to kill it... ARG!! I just
want to be able to study the raw formatted XML file contents and have access
to the "+" & "-" symbols in an XML doc in IE without having to jump through
hoops. Does anyone know how to fix this?

TIA,

John,

Allow active content to run in files on My Computer - Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.winxptutor.com/lmzunlock.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"John Bowman (e-mail address removed)>" <<Remove this before reply> wrote in message Hi,

[...]

Ramesh,

Thanks! I found the setting:

Internet Options -->Advanced-->Security-->"Allow active content to run in
files on My Computer"

and it's no longer a problem.

However, I still don't understand the "meaning" of this setting and how it
affects accessing information on the internet or on my local PC. If I can't
fingure out what it means, imagine all the people out there who are not
computer savy. Anyway, why does this setting affect the mere act of openning
an XML file that I've created manaully on my local machine? As far as I'm
concerned there's no "active" anything going on, just openning a file that's
never even been placed onto another PC.

John

[...]

The Internet Options "Allow active content" corresponds to FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN registry key. When the value of the FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN subkey is set to 1, the following restrictions are enforced by Windows XP SP2 for both Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Windows Explorer:

• Disallow ActiveX.
• Disallow binary behaviors.
• Disallow Java.
• Prompt for script running.
• Prompt for cross-domain data.

A small script such as "Add the site to Favorites" also is considered an active content and blocked when run in the LMZ. You should be able to gather more information on FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN from the MSDN or Technet libraries.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"John Bowman (e-mail address removed)>" <<Remove this before reply> wrote in message Ramesh,

[...]

Thanks for the additional Ino.

[...]

Back
Top