IE wont open in new window closes old one

  • Start date Start date

Dave1ee

i can not seem to get IE to work correctly when trying to
right click on a link & open it in a new window. This
started it appears after doing a repair install of winxp
and doing all the updates. any solutions would be
appreciated.

(e-mail address removed)

Dave,

Download all of these utilities and scan the system.

Note: Spyware removers are rules-based and are updated very frequently as and when new malware is discovered. Therefore, update both of these tools before scanning, very important.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
SpyBot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder : http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

If that does not help, download HijackThis from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ Generate a log using HijackThis and visit any of these forums below to post your HijackThis log. The experts there will guide you how to remove the spyware from your system:

http://forums.aumha.org
http://forums.spywareinfo.com
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

I have alrerady done these programs as I have used them
before. still no luck any other suggestions?

Dave
Download all of these utilities and scan the system.

Note: Spyware removers are rules-based and are updated
very frequently as and when new malware is discovered.
Therefore, update both of these tools before scanning,
very important.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
SpyBot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder : http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

If that does not help, download HijackThis from
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ Generate a log using
HijackThis and visit any of these forums below to post
your HijackThis log. The experts there will guide you how
to remove the spyware from your system:

Dave,
Do you have *any* type of pop-up blocker running? MSN toolbar? Earthlink?
AOL? Google? Are you sure that Yahoo Companion isn't listed under IE> View>
Toolbars or IE> Tools?

From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party
browser extensions." If that allows additional windows to open, another
program is causing the problem.

Try Toolbar Cop from <irony> Ramesh S. See what Toolbar Cop finds.

You might try BHODemon from:
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/
or http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/
or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html
it might find a BHO that's causing this.

If you're *sure* that another program isn't causing this, these links may
help.

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

Let me know if any of this helps. I'm not getting feedback (good or bad) on
this advice.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

-----Original Message----- [Ramesh, Microsoft MVP]
Dave,

Download all of these utilities and scan the system.

Note: Spyware removers are rules-based and are updated
very frequently as and when new malware is discovered.
Therefore, update both of these tools before scanning,
very important.
[SNIP]

This problem has been plaguing me for some time, everyone has been beeting
around the bush with it and I've had a hard time figuring why my browser IE
at least was closing on many web sites for me. Here is what was causing the
problem for me.

A few months ago in a rare impulsive moment decided to to try a program that
I heard was a good alternative to IE (never believe everything you hear on
TECHTV!) so I tried MYIE2. Well as it turns out after blaming Sun Java 2
runtime, and other plugins, I have found out it is the popup blockers in
MYIE2 that caused IE to close on me. While I found MYIE2 to be a nice
interface, no one bothered to mention that it is integrated with microsoft's
IE and changes all your settings in IE. Worse still if you install Mozilla
Firefox it too experiences the same problem when you import IE favorites and
settings.

The moral of this story is, don't do what I did. hahaha

Anyway, what Don said about turning off 3rd party plugins will pretty much
solve the problem in the short turn, getting rid of the other programs that
caused the problem is a different story.

Keep up the good work. Can't we all wait for XP service pack 2, to make our
lives interesting?

nojotek

Good call, Don

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

Sorry... URL for Toolbar Cop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Toolkit.htm

Don

Can't we all wait for XP service pack 2, to make our lives interesting?

It's available for download here :)

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package is already available ( >260MB download)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A

Not yet available via Windows Update (might take some time)

--
[...]

Back
Top