IE will NOT open Help!!

  • Start date Start date

I've read all the other answers to this, but it still won't work. I'm running
IE 6 in XP. I've ran AdAware, Spybot, CWShredder, and Stinger, I then
"repaired" it, and still it will do absolutely nothing. I don't know what
else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly, as I am having to
use MSN Explorer, and I don't like it too much.

Hi,

It seems like you've scanned for spyware, as per your post. Have you also
scanned your computer for a virus? Spyware removers don't usually scan for, or
remove, viral files, so you may be infected with a virus.

Do you have an anti-virus solution on your computer and is it up-to-date?

Regards,

Altrus

: I've read all the other answers to this, but it still won't work. I'm running
: IE 6 in XP. I've ran AdAware, Spybot, CWShredder, and Stinger, I then
: "repaired" it, and still it will do absolutely nothing. I don't know what
: else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly, as I am having to
: use MSN Explorer, and I don't like it too much.

I ran Norton, but it is a little older version... do you know who may have a
free udate or even a different kind of virus scanner?
Thanks!

Hi,

Seeing as you are able to access the internet, the following may be of use:

Housecall - An Online Virus Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

We note that because you cannot open IE, this may not be of too much use. So,
try the following:

AVG Antivirus:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php

(Download the free edition).

I'm not sure of any more free scanner or tools off the top of my head. Try the
ones above, and see where that gets you.

Best regards,

Altrus

: I ran Norton, but it is a little older version... do you know who may have a
: free udate or even a different kind of virus scanner?
: Thanks!
:
: "Altrüs" wrote:
:
: > Hi,
: >
[...]

Hi! I tried the AVG scan... it found and removed 3 infected files, but my IE
still will not open. I'm not sure what to try next... any other ideas?

needinghelp said:
Hi! I tried the AVG scan... it found and removed 3 infected files,
but my IE still will not open. I'm not sure what to try next... any
other ideas?

For the moment, Mozilla and Opera come to mind.

Hi,
If you go to iexplore.exe (probably at C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer)
will it open? You may just have a damaged shortcut.

Next, will IE open if you uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions?"
(Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced...) If that helps, that indicates
that another program is causing the problem.

You may not be able to access the net, but will IE *open* from a Safe Mode
boot? Restart and hit F8 about once per second (to be sure that you hit it
at the right moment) to access safe mode. If that helps, that indicates that
another program is causing the problem. Take a look at programs such as
pop-up blockers, security, anti-virus, etc.

A legitimate program could be causing this. This article should help:
276393 - Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393

Or, it may be malware that the removal programs didn't find. Work through
the steps at
The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol: http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
including the posting of a HijackThis log.

Or, maybe helpful:
How to Reinstall or Repair IE / OE in Windows XP?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Reinstall

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

It opened in Safe Mode, and after I turned off the third party ext.!!! Now,
how do I fix it? I ran 'repair" on it, but it didn't seem to make a
difference. And I don't think I can uninstall IE 6 because it's part of the
core of XP... I don't have a way to reinstall it.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
If you go to iexplore.exe (probably at C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer)
will it open? You may just have a damaged shortcut.

Next, will IE open if you uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions?"
(Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced...) If that helps, that indicates
that another program is causing the problem.I'm going to read the article below and maybe that'll give me some insight. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how it goes.

needinghelp said:
I've read all the other answers to this, but it still won't work. I'm running
IE 6 in XP. I've ran AdAware, Spybot, CWShredder, and Stinger, I then
"repaired" it, and still it will do absolutely nothing. I don't know what
else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly, as I am having to
use MSN Explorer, and I don't like it too much.

I've read the article, but I'm not very computer savvy, so it lost me. Is it
ok to run IE without the third party ext on from now on? If it'll work that
way and won't harm anything, I'm happy not to turn them back on... what is
your advice?

needinghelp said:
I've read all the other answers to this, but it still won't work. I'm running
IE 6 in XP. I've ran AdAware, Spybot, CWShredder, and Stinger, I then
"repaired" it, and still it will do absolutely nothing. I don't know what
else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly, as I am having to
use MSN Explorer, and I don't like it too much.

needinghelp said:
What are Mozilla and Opera?

Competing web browsers to IE. Search for Google about those. Even if you
prefer IE, having other browsers on this system is a Good Idea in the event
you temporarily can't use IE. You can use these as backup browsers
temporarily.

Hi,
You should find the program that's interfering with IE and remove it so that
you can re-enable browser extensions. There are good browser extensions such
as the Adobe Reader Plugin.

As for legitimate programs, disable (for diagnostic purposes) toolbars,
ad-blockers, security/privacy programs, etc. A program may need to be
reinstalled- or not reinstalled. If disabling Norton AV, for example, helps,
reinstalling the AV program should fix things.

Or, it may be malware that the removal programs didn't find. Work through
the steps at
The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol: http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
including the posting of a HijackThis log. Be sure to read
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 and be patient. They're busy.

And, I agree that Mozilla is a good browser (as is Firefox) and having a
spare browser is an excellent idea http://www.mozilla.org/

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

When you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get the list of
"needinghelp" <needinghelp[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I've read all the other answers to this, but it still won't work. I'm
running
IE 6 in XP. I've ran AdAware, Spybot, CWShredder, and Stinger, I then
"repaired" it, and still it will do absolutely nothing. I don't know what
else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly, as I am having
use MSN Explorer, and I don't like it too much.

Hi,
I went through most of my programs, and when I disabled Norton, it workes
fine with the extensions on. I'm assuming that means that Norton has a
problem and was the reason for the IE problem... correct? I have a AVG virus
scanner, so I guess I'll use that until I can get a newer edition of Norton
to install.
Thank you so much for all of your help! I appreciate it greatly!
Happy holidays!

needinghelp said:
[...]

It seems that your problem has been solved by Don Varnau :-).

I assume you don't have anymore questions?

Best regards,

Altrus

: Hi! I tried the AVG scan... it found and removed 3 infected files, but my IE
: still will not open. I'm not sure what to try next... any other ideas?
:
: "Altrüs" wrote:
:
: > Hi,
[...]
[...]