IE Information Bar text for ActiveX control

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]

My father-in-law was infected with self-replicating spyware via an ActiveX
control... again! Since we basically refused to help him out this time, he
plans to have the Geek Squad come to his house for $349! I am trying to find
somewhere where he can take that would charge more like $50. In any case...

My mother-in-law is smarter about these things. She knows to read the
Information Bar and security warning, but she misunderstands the warning.
She says "but he already has ActiveX installed, so why is it asking him to
install it again?".

My thought is that this warning would be clearer and more likely to be
heeded if it read "This web site wants to install software..." instead of
"This web site wants to install an ActiveX control...". The people who need
to be paying attention to that are the same people who have no clue what an
ActiveX control is.

Paul

Robinb

too bad he doesn't live in NJ- I charge $60 to come to your home and if i
find there is a problem and I need more time then I take the computer back
to my lab and charge $50 an hr and if I Have to research using alot of time
to figure out how to find a patch for the spyware, I call the customer and
tell them it will take this amount of time and how much it will cost.
What I have found in my experiences and I do this all the time the most it
will cost is $200 and if it going to cost more i call the customer first and
explain what needs to be do- ie reinstalling xp etc and how much it will
cost. or if it is not worth it- then i recommend if the computer is more
than 4yrs old to purchase a new one.
I just sold a new one to a customer for $510 (running xp media center) and
that included a 2 yr in house service contract from dell.
robin ;)

"Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]" <[email protected]>
news:[email protected]...

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]

Hi Robin,

Yes, too bad! It wouldn't hurt for him to wipe his hard drive with all the
c**p he has on there.

One local store came to mind, but they are apparently closing business and
don't offer a spyware removal service any more. I know they're out there,
and so are guys like you. Then there's me. I can do it, but I won't ;) I
might possibly have him run Hijack This! and use the log to delete some
registry entries and at least stop it reinfecting him - if I feel generous.

Paul

wrote in message
[...]

Robinb

Paul
why don't you set him up on logmein.com?
the service is totally FREE (just make sure you pick the Free one)
If it pops up with the free/pro trial all you need to do a day later is go
into it yourself and fix his settings to FREE.
It is with 256encription too
He has to install it but you can walk him through this on the telephone.
I have it on 32 clients and when they have a problem i just go through the
website and fix them.
If he is not password protected when he logs in- the program will ask you
for an access code which you make up (of course write it down because you
will need it to get in)
YOu need to know the Login User name and password on his computer)
Once he is set up it will send him an email and he clicks it to confirm
which will take him to one of logmein's website.
It works with firefox and ie6 and 7
Once he is confirmed (and if there is a problem you can actually call the
company and they will fix you for free), then you go to logmein.com put in
his username and the password you created- then it will log in. YOu will
then have to put in his login name and password and access code if that is
the way he goes.
You can set the screen for Full and it will look as if his computer is in
front of you.
This way you can go in and fix him.
Also
it will put an icon in the right side of the taskbar (which is the remote
access) and when he reboots he will see it.You can even reboot him and it
will throw you off but you can log back into the site and wait till his
computer jens up again.

try it out.

wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I am originally from England, now living in the US, so not quite used
to the proper use of the term "guys". In a group of people, if some are
"guys" and some are "gals", can I say "guys"? :)

Paul

wrote in message
[...]

Using logmein.com or something is a good idea, except that I am just
unwilling to help him at all. Which is easier, him reading the d*mn security
warnings and using some common sense, or me looking at his computer once
every couple of months instead of looking after my three kids (my little
guys, two of which are girls ;). I lectured him this time about what he did
wrong, the many many reasons he should have known, etc. He acted like
understood, which perhaps he did, but he just doesn't "get it". He does not
have reusable knowledge about common security sense.

This time, they were going to find someone to fix it, probably at a cost of
a couple of hundred dollars. For my mothers sake only, I agreed to take a
look at it in a spare moment and do what I could. I didn't promise anything
and I said I was not devoting any significant time to it.

I used Hijack This! to examine how it was running at startup. I tried
terminating the processes using Task Manager and deleteing the registry
entries, but both came back. Then I terminated the processes using Process
Explorer from sysinternals.com instead, and by killing the whole tree at
once, they did not get a chance to restart and were gone. So then I was able
to delete the registry entries without them coming back, reboot and delete
all the other files. It took about 10 minutes of actually doing stuff and an
hour of waiting for his underpowered and over-cr*pified computer to respond.
Then I spent a little time trying to figure out why his Internet connection
was still flaky, only to come to the realisation that his out of date AV
software (he ignores the waring) and old firewall software were just taking
too long to start up and in the mean time sporadically denying stuff. Even
when they do start up, there are sporadic "host not reachable" errors to
just about anywhere.

I don't intend to do even that next time.

Paul

wrote in message
[...]

I see that in Internet Explorer 7, the Information Bar refers to an "add-on"
instead. I like this better.

The popup menu still has an item "Install ActiveX control". However, I do
think it is appropriate for it to be referred to as an ActiveX control
somewhere, since that's what it is. You can go too far the other way with
vague language in an attempt to be non-confusing. Like when the doctor says
"I'm going to give you some medicine to help you feel better now". What
medicine??

Paul

"Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]" <[email protected]>
news:[email protected]...

Robinb

I am assuming he is in his 50's+?
Most of my clients are in that bracket.
and you know what? I ask them the same thing- that is why they wind up
coming to me because they do not listen and the worst of it, understand they
did not grow up with this type of technology. They grew up (inculding
myself) with a large mainfrain where you just punched in numbers on a amber
or green screen. There were no viruses, there were no malware/spyware, heck
there was no internet.
I learned to type on a manual typewriter.
That is why i understand how he feels. Of course i have learned alot over
the past 15yrs and only because I got involved or was forced to learn
"windows" because of my work envirorement. In fact I learned most of my
stuff from being on a large chat network with "kids" in the age group of
14+. and then went from there.

So mabe this shows you how much little he really knows, even though he has
someone like you who is very knowledgeable. when it comes to computers, only
he came from the "stone age" of computers where life was way very different.

So have a bit compasion for him because I am betting he really doesn't
understand a word you tell him.

wrote in message
[...]

I know that he does not understand a word I tell him. He hovers over me and
asks what I am doing as I am typing away at a million miles per hour. He
printed out a pile of Yahoo searches on the virus names he had managed to
identify from some (possible fake, possibly not) message boxes. Mostly, they
were just search results (you know, URLs and one-line abstracts) and not
even the actual page. He had already had a discussion with my wife about the
possibility of removal instructions being useful. One of them was actual
removal instructions, it turns out that it was my wife that printed them
out. So he was really mad when I said they were not useful. I tried telling
him that it was too difficult to explain why, but they're not useful. He got
madder and madder and wanted a debate. So finally, I gave him a technical
explanation about how a virus can only do something if a process is running
(not just an EXE sitting there) or an add-on is loaded (not just a DLL
sitting there), and that I would be using standard techniques to identify
how these things are running and use Registry Editor to eliminate that. He
had no f*ing clue what I was talking about but it made him happy. The
removal instructions all pretty much say the same thing - remove stuff from
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or some other well known
key and reboot.

Anyway, you're right, some sympathy is needed. It's not his fault, it is the
fault of the malware authors. It is not fair that a simple and
understandable mistake he made caused so much trouble. But after the tenth
time, my patience wears thin.

Paul

wrote in message
[...]

Robinb

Paul,
If you like you can email me and I will send you the manuals for
spywaredoctor, ad-aware, spybot s&d, superantispyware, and the do's and do
nots of spyware and viruses. and avg antivirus if the has that one
These manuals are in word doc form.
They give step by step with pictures (mostly for beginners) on how to run
the programs and what to delete or not.
just take off the "nospam" when you reply to my email
robin

wrote in message
[...]

Robin,

Thanks for the generous offer, but I don't think so. Sure, I might learn
something and be able to more efficiently remove his malware next time, but
I am just so "done" with it. And I am all but certain he will *not* learn
anything from it. He can't even take in the basics I am telling him on my
own or what I had him read on Microsoft's Security at Home web page.

I like the delete on reboot feature I stumbled upon in Hijack This! though.
I didn't have to use it, but it would have been useful for stubborn
reinfections.

And yes, I forgot to mention that he is indeed in his 50's+.

Paul

wrote in message
[...]

Robinb

the manuals are for him not you- you are too advanced for the manuals.
They are in "baby" terms for someone that age can figure out. If you want
them just send me off an email. You can actually email them to him as long
as he uses Word. and have him print them out and staple them together. they
are numbered too so he cannot get confused.

wrote in message
[...]

Erik

<snip>

If you do not want to spend too much time on your parents' computer,
just install a Linux version, (I recommend Mandriva), update it till
today and enjoy your time with your children (and your parents).

although Linux is not intrinsically safer than Windows, it is not
attacked by the malware maffia.

A simple and effective solution.

Erik.