IE icon in desktop toolbar

  • Start date Start date

bikramjit.ghosh

i use a toolbar from my taskbar to access my desktop. i was wondering
if anyone knew of a way to prevent the IE icon from showing up in it?
i've already removed it from my desktop (i.e. - when 'show desktop
icons' is enabled), but i can enver seem to get rid of it in my toolbar
- everytime i delete it or remove it using any other means, it just
pops itself back in!
anyone know of any way to get around this?
cheers
bik

nope....i have a separate 'desktop' toolbar on my taskbar that allows
me to access desktop content without showing then icons on my actual
desktop so that i don't ave to keep minimising apps when i want to
access a desktop item. i removed the ie icon from the desktop, and when
i allow icons to be visible on the desktop, it's not there - which is
what i want. but when i access m desktop content from my toolbar, the
ie icon's back there and i can't get rid of it.
it's just something that's been bugging me - was wondering if maybe
there was a .ini file or something that i could edit?

Please include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup.

Are you referring to IE's Desktop Toolbar option (right-click on empty area
of taskbar > Properties > Toolbars) or a third-party toolbar?

Assuming the latter, right-click on an empty area of the actual Desktop >
Properties > Desktop (tab) > Customize Desktop > Desktop Icons > Is IE
checked or unchecked here?

i'm referring to IE'sdesktop toolbar option as you have described, not
a third-party toolbar. I have already doublechecked the 'customise
desktop' option, and IE is unchecked there. in fact, i noticed, 'my
documents' is also unchecked there, but it shows up in my desktop
toolbar anyway. when i choose 'show desktop icons', just liek the IE
icon, 'my documents' doesn't show on the desktop either. am i correct
in guessing that this means the IE desktop toolbar and the windows
desktop have different configuration files?
cheers,
bikram

4. PA Bear
Nov 14, 5:54 am show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:54:55 -0500
Subject: Re: IE icon in desktop toolbar
original | Report Abuse

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

nope....i have a separate 'desktop' toolbar on my taskbar that allows
me to access desktop content without showing then icons on my actual
desktop so that i don't ave to keep minimising apps when i want to
access a desktop item. i removed the ie icon from the desktop, and when
i allow icons to be visible on the desktop, it's not there - which is
what i want. but when i access m desktop content from my toolbar, the
ie icon's back there and i can't get rid of it.
it's just something that's been bugging me - was wondering if maybe
there was a .ini file or something that i could edit?

<paste>

Windows version? In WinXP, removing a Desktop Icon from the Desktop Toolbar
requires a Registry edit:

Hide IE Icon from the Desktop Toolbar (Line 102, Right)

Hide System Desktop Icons (Line 102, Left)

To access this newsgroup using your default newsreader instead of Google
Groups, click on the following link:

sorry...should have included this before - i'm using XP home, SP2. the
registry edit worked like a charm. thanks a lot
bikram
1. (e-mail address removed)
Nov 13, 1:50 am show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
From: (e-mail address removed) - Find messages by this author
Date: 12 Nov 2005 07:50:42 -0800
Subject: IE icon in desktop toolbar
original | Remove | Report Abuse

i use a toolbar from my taskbar to access my desktop. i was wondering
if anyone knew of a way to prevent the IE icon from showing up in it?
i've already removed it from my desktop (i.e. - when 'show desktop
icons' is enabled), but i can enver seem to get rid of it in my toolbar
- everytime i delete it or remove it using any other means, it just
pops itself back in!
anyone know of any way to get around this?
cheers
bik

2. PA Bear
Nov 13, 4:09 am show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:09:51 -0500
original | Report Abuse

Are you referring to the Quick Launch toolbar?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

i use a toolbar from my taskbar to access my desktop. i was wondering
if anyone knew of a way to prevent the IE icon from showing up in it?
i've already removed it from my desktop (i.e. - when 'show desktop
icons' is enabled), but i can enver seem to get rid of it in my toolbar
- everytime i delete it or remove it using any other means, it just
pops itself back in!
anyone know of any way to get around this?
cheers
bik

3. (e-mail address removed)
Nov 13, 12:08 pm show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:54:55 -0500
original | Report Abuse

PA said:
Are you referring to the Quick Launch toolbar?

5. (e-mail address removed)
Nov 15, 8:04 pm show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:54:55 -0500
original | Report Abuse

PA said:
Are you referring to the Quick Launch toolbar?

6. PA Bear
Nov 16, 4:48 am show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser