IE 6 will not run

It was working, not sure why it stopped. Am also using Windows Me.

have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. When IE is clicked on, the
h/d runs for a bit, then stops. Nothing else happens. When I CTRL+ALT+DEL
IExplore is listed but not responding.

I did receive a message at one point about MSHTML.DLL (sorry can't remember
what it was), but the only option I had was OK.

Netscape works, so it is not an internet connection issue. Would really
like to get IE back. Have tried to use Netscape to get Windows Updates...
but it shows the most common updates, not the ones required for the computer
or Me.

Thank you for any assistance.

PA Bear

Uninstalled/reinstalled what, IE?

Have you ever reinstalled WinME after installing IE6?

Copy/paste the following line into an IE Addressbar, click on GO, then
copy/paste the results into your reply:

javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion

Don Varnau

It is a reinstallation of IE. In response to PA Bear, IE will not run.
After clicking on the Icon, or using the menus, nothing happens. Except as I
mentioned.

I have worked through the solutions, but there is no "scumware" on the system.

And this is quirky too... because I didn't think my question was posted,
because I got an error saying there was a problem. Its just not my day for
computers today, I guess.

Reinstallation of IE. I can't get IE to run. As mentioned, nothing appears,
and after a few minutes in the Windows Task Manager, IExplore is not
responding.

No scumware is evident... have run appropriate programs.

If I type in www.microsoft.com in the address bar in my Computer I can get
to the internet. Also Netscape works.

PA Bear

And my other question and suggestion?...
Have you ever reinstalled WinME after installing IE6?

Copy/paste the following line into an IE Addressbar, click on GO, then
copy/paste the results into your reply:

javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion

Sorry for the duplicate posts... I'm getting messages saying it is not
posting... and nothing is refreshing.

If I install WinME over top... will I lose any data? That's my concern.

Thank you

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

It is a reinstallation of IE. In response to PA Bear, IE will not run.
After clicking on the Icon, or using the menus, nothing happens. Except
as I mentioned.

I have worked through the solutions, but there is no "scumware" on the
system.

And this is quirky too... because I didn't think my question was posted,
because I got an error saying there was a problem. Its just not my day
for computers today, I guess.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
This is probably being caused by third-party programs (adware, spyware,
parasite).

Work through the solutions (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on
that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Alice" <Alice[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
It was working, not sure why it stopped. Am also using Windows Me.

have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. When IE is clicked
on, the h/d runs for a bit, then stops. Nothing else happens. When
I CTRL+ALT+DEL IExplore is listed but not responding.

I did receive a message at one point about MSHTML.DLL (sorry can't
remember what it was), but the only option I had was OK.

Netscape works, so it is not an internet connection issue. Would
really like to get IE back. Have tried to use Netscape to get
Windows Updates... but it shows the most common updates, not the ones
required for the computer or Me.

Thank you for any assistance.

PA Bear

[Two down, one to go]

Do *not* reinstall WinME!!!
--
~PA Bear

:

[...]

Okay...

I don't have an IE Addressbar. IE will not open. When it is clicked on,
the h/d runs for a bit, then nothing happens. All activity stops. When I
open Windows Task Manager, it displays that IExplore (not responding).

Can I type that line into the Windows Explorer Address Bar? As I can access
the web via that way, as well as through Netscape.

A.

PA Bear said:
[Two down, one to go]

Do *not* reinstall WinME!!!
--
~PA Bear

Alice wrote:
[...]

Sure, give it a go.
Can I type that line into the Windows Explorer Address Bar? As I can
access the web via that way, as well as through Netscape.

A.

PA Bear said:
[Two down, one to go]

Do *not* reinstall WinME!!!

Alice wrote:
[...]

I typed it in, in the Windows Explorer Address Bar.

it returned

;SP1;

PA Bear said:
[Two down, one to go]

Do *not* reinstall WinME!!!
--
~PA Bear

Alice wrote:
[...]

results were ;sp1;

PA Bear said:
Sure, give it a go.
Can I type that line into the Windows Explorer Address Bar? As I can
access the web via that way, as well as through Netscape.

A.

PA Bear said:
[Two down, one to go]

Do *not* reinstall WinME!!!

Alice wrote:
[...]

Well, you definitely have IE6 SP1 installed (but no critical updates since
Aug-02).

I suggest you pursue the "hijackware" issue as it's prolly the cause of your
woes (see below).

Otherwise, there is a method to remove (notice that's not 'uninstall') IE
completely and then reinstall WinME
(http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm), which should fix you up.
Then you can install IE6 SP1 and updates. I'll leave that to the guys 'n
gals in WinME General newsgroup (to which we've been crossposting here).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dealing with Trojans & Hijackware

A. Trojans

1. Download and run Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/); then...

2. Update your virus definitions, enable Show Hidden Files
(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339)
and then run a full system scan in Safe Mode
(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406)
with nothing else running in background. Note the files identified and
removed then find the corresponding page for the file at your AV maker's
online support pages (e.g.,
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.winfavorites.html)
and follow *all* Removal steps, including editing the Registry if directed.

WinXP Only (WinME similar): If this scan finds anything, create a new
Restore Point then:

Disk Cleanup > More options > Delete all but the most recent Restore
Point.

B. Hijackware

Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

Run these tools in the following order with nothing else running in
background:

1. CWShredder v2,0 (Run "Fix", not "Scan)
http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

2. Ad-Aware SE (reconfigure per Post #2 in
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5877; fix all found)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

3. Spybot (RTFM; Immunize then Scan; Generally fix everything in red)

Important: You must seek updates for Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc., before each and
every use, even "right out of the box". But even they can't catch
everything, 24/7.

When all else fails...

HijackThis
http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

....is the preferred tool to use. With advice from experts, it will help you
to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. Post your log to, e.g.,
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/, http://computercops.biz/forum67.html or
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, **not here.**

[Alternate download pages for many of the above tools may be found at
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.]
--
~PA Bear
I typed it in, in the Windows Explorer Address Bar.

;SP1;

PA Bear said:
[Two down, one to go]

Do *not* reinstall WinME!!!

Alice wrote:
[...]

Have run programs again. Nothing found out of the ordinary. Although
HiJackThis did find a number of files, the other programs didn't catch. Have
posted log.

Find it very strange, that IE will not load/run.

Thanks for your help thus far.

PA Bear said:
[...]

PA Bear said:
[Two down, one to go]

Do *not* reinstall WinME!!!

Alice wrote:
[...]

Walt & Lisa

Interesting that you can get to the internet by explorer. Maybe you have a
corrupted shortcut to ie. Have you tried to open ie with any other shortcut?
Try start/Programs/internet explorer.

Alice wrote:
[...]

Yes... every available way to open IE does not work. The program does show
up in Windows Task Manager as IExplore (not responding).

Alice wrote:
[...]

Have you tried the repair option or return to previous configuration in
Add/Remove/Uninstall/Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools?

Alice wrote:
[...]

Yes.

Have tried repair. Have uninstalled, have reinstalled. For all intents and
purposes it should work, but its not.