Idle system problem

scsisys

I've got three systems which are all hooked up to a 4 port KVM switch. They
have been this way for a couple of years. Normally, when I get thru using
one,
I will simply switch to the empty port and the computer will go into
standby.
To bring up a computer , I simply switch to the port/computer I want and
move the mouse or start keying in a password.

Well, last night , I activated the port for the XP machine and then began
entering my password. As the machine came out of idle mode, instead of
having the logon screen up, there was only the desktop background. After
trying different keyboard entries, the only thing that worked was
CTR-ALT-DEL.
Same thing tonight.

Any ideas as to why this one machine has changed its routine ??

No changes have been/were made to the BIOS and/or power options settings.
In the power options, Standby is set to "never" ; turn harddisks off is set
"never" ; hibernation is not checked.

thanks
ray

Brian A.

See if this helps from the Help files:
To require users to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on a computer that is part of a network domain in order to complete this procedure. Network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1.. Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
2.. Click the Advanced tab.
3.. In Secure logon, select the Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
Notes

a.. To open User Accounts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
b.. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on guarantees that the authentic Windows logon prompt appears. Requiring the use of CTRL+ALT+DELETE increases security and helps to thwart certain Trojan horse programs.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

scsisys

Brian...

There is no "advanced" tab.....and yes, I'm logged on as an Admin.

ray

[...]

David Candy

Type in Start Run
control userpasswords2

One is for local computer and one is for domain computer (but both are for local security). Doing above starts the domain computer applet. Typing control userpasswords starts the correct one for your configuration.

scsisys

David....

Thanks.....

ray