This AM i noticed my Icons are wrong, they all have a PCAnywhere Icon over
the top of the the original. Not all are this way but shortcuts are, ZIP
files are, and I also notice that the Icons on Start\Programs are missing as
well. I tried deleting the ShellIconCache. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Cody

G

George Hester

Deleting shelliconcache is the wrong thing to do and sort of like shooting an ant with a bazooka.

Next time or this time close all desktop items. Right-click the desktop choose Properties | Appearance | the drop down find Icon | drop size of icon down by 1 to 31. Say Apply and OK. Do this again but put the size back to 32 Apply OK. Now go look see your icons. If it don't work is this an Upgrade from Windows 98?

C

Cody Lewis

Its W2K server, I unistalled Pcanywhere and they are fine now. Very Strange.

Deleting shelliconcache is the wrong thing to do and sort of like shooting
an ant with a bazooka.

Next time or this time close all desktop items. Right-click the desktop
choose Properties | Appearance | the drop down find Icon | drop size of icon
down by 1 to 31. Say Apply and OK. Do this again but put the size back to
32 Apply OK. Now go look see your icons. If it don't work is this an
Upgrade from Windows 98?

G

George Hester

It would have been nice with PCAnywhere installed you tried the suggestion and let us know what happened. But glad you have normal icons again.

G

I have the same thing happen, but I don't have PC Anywhere. I accidently unplugged the pc, and when it rebooted, would not display my icons, and if I try to go to Start/settings/control Panel, I get "Cannot find the file '(null)' (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct." I've tried rebooting about 10 times, with no difference. I've tried to repair, nothing. I even did an overwrite (supposedly) but it kept all my settings, so I'm assuming it didn't really reinstall. I even applied SP4. Nothing...ideas anyone? btw...I am not able to right-click the desktop for properties, so I cannot change the font size as you recommended....

G

George Hester

For you Steve I would make a new profile with Administrative priviledges and see if the behavior still occurs. Also check your Event Viewer.

Ask a Question