I.E.6 hangs up whenon ebay site

  • Start date Start date

Bettina

Everytime I get on ebay, after a minute or 2 I.E
freezes. I have to restart the modem to get back on line.
The freezing happens mostly on that site, any ideas?

Bettina said:
Everytime I get on ebay, after a minute or 2 I.E
freezes. I have to restart the modem to get back on line.
The freezing happens mostly on that site, any ideas?

Same problem here, except I have an internal USR
Winmodem and have to restart the whole computer
forcefully.

Hi Bettina :-)

Check your HOSTS file and be sure ebay is not in there. If so, then just
put a # in front fo the line and it will negate it.

HOSTS Files:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip
or
http://accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html

How Do I Use the HOST File?
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

How to Edit HOST File:
http://www.lithiumdata.com/QandA/hosts.htm

How to check HOSTS file

Windows/host (it will not have an extension, and if there is more than one,
choose the one that says Application in a column to the right) . Right click
on it and select Open with.....when the window opens, scroll down the list
to Notepad. Once it opens in Notepad, scoll down the list to see if that
site is in the list. If so, DO NOT delete it, just go to the very front of
the line to the left and enter # in front of the line so that it looks
similar to the one below, as the entries with # in front will be ignored.

# Entries with other comments are searchable via Google.

Then click the save button and close. Then try the site again.

For more information on the HOSTS file check here
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers_10.htm#hosts

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jan said:
Check your HOSTS file and be sure ebay is not in there.
If so, then just put a # in front fo the line and it will negate it.

I just have the single entry for localhost in my hosts file, so that
doesn't do it for me- but thanks!

HIi Fishface :-)

ebay presents a very elusive problem, especially for some versions of
Windows and IE. What version of windows and IE are you using? Do you get
any error messages? If so, what its the exact wording?

(e-mail address removed)?> wrote in message

Jan said:
ebay presents a very elusive problem, especially for some versions of
Windows and IE. What version of windows and IE are you using?

Yes, I've seen that it happens to some others, too. Some have
complained that it happens with yahoo searches and it happened
when I searched the Dell support site, as my modem is an oem Dell.

I'm using Windows 2000 sp4 with IE6 SP1 with the latest security patches.

When the problem occurs, there is no error message. Nothing is written
to the event log. My dial-up goes belly-up and Explorer stops responding.
I can hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete and have the Windows Security Box pop up,
but when I go to the tasklist, I cannot kill any programs and it is then
unresponsive. At this point, I can Alt + tab to other running programs,
but the taskbar does not paint itself. Sometimes I can close running
programs this way, but often IE windows, which are set to run as separate
tasks do not respond. The machine is Prime95 and Memtest stable, and
otherwise runs great so I don't specifically suspect hardware.

Abit NF7 v2 Athlon XP2500+ 1 GB Corsair PC3500,
Dell oem winmodem made by USR

Running Norton SystemWorks 2003, fully updated, with NAV autoprotect
on. ZoneAlarm 5.0.090.15, Webwasher 3.3 build 34.

I've searched, and searched, and now I'm just tired...

Hi Fishface :-)

Have you tried uninstalling your Norton? Try it as a test, if you want, as
there have been some of these problems that have been caused by Norton AV's,
and once they were uninstalled, the problem was resolved. Even if you had
Norton and didn't have the problem until recently, some things can change
over time and updates and such that can cause a problem to suddenly start up
out of the blue.

Another thing is, some webmasters are changing their website programs to try
and accommodate the newer programs and changing needs of the users. Often
without knowing, they are in fact affecting a large number of people who can
not rectify the problem on their end.

Javascript is another very big problem, and it is also hard to pin down a
one-size-fits-all cure for such a wide range of causes. The best we can do
in such cases is take each situation on a one to one basis and find a cure
for each one, but, sometimes it is very difficult without actually being
able to troubleshoot on the machine in person to 'see' what is happening.

I'm truly sorry that I can't suggest anything more at this time than
uninstalling the Norton AV and see if that does any good. Perhaps someone
else here may have some information or a suggestion that will be the key you
need to resolve the problem. ;-)

Jan said:
Have you tried uninstalling your Norton?

I didn't uninstall it, but tried disabling AutoProtect, but without change.
I have since discovered that the problem does not occur if I remove the
WebWasher and the proxy server. I'm trying to narrow it down further...

I have been going crazy with this very issue. Every time I try to browse on
ebay, I can open three or four pages at most and then my internet connection
fails and I have to reset the router. The problem only occurs on ebay and it
also happens when I use my roommates computer so the problem isn't with my
system... I'm going to try ebay support next. Since others are
experiencing this problem perhaps they already have a solution. I will be
sure to post if they are able to provide a fix for this. I must say that
although I'm sorry to hear that others share my frustration with internet
connection issues when browsing on ebay, I'm feeling a little more hopeful
that there must be a fix for this.

There are user forums at eBay. Lots of people in the same
boat, even Mac IE users! Gonna try the free Mozilla browser.
I put it on an old NT4 machine at work. I had tried to install
the latest IE6 critical update, but the installer failed. Apparently,
it won't run on NT4. MS doesn't support NT4 anymore and it
appears they're going out of their way to prove it.

I have the same problem, only it occurs frequently, and not just with Ebay --
it affects sites at random.

Martin said:
I have the same problem, only it occurs frequently, and not just with
Ebay -- it affects sites at random.

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs
below, download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Back