Hyperlink Problems

  • Start date Start date

Kolchak

I am currently using IE 6. Suddenly, I can't get
hyperlinks to work (9 times out of 10). Downloads will not
begin, etc. I couldn't even post this message without
switching over to Netscape to make the "post" button work.
Is there a conflict with programs I have running
(Ad-aware, Freesurfer, or anti-spyware stuff) that might be
causing this? Any suggestions?

Kolchak said:
I am currently using IE 6. Suddenly, I can't get
hyperlinks to work (9 times out of 10). Downloads will not
begin, etc. I couldn't even post this message without
switching over to Netscape to make the "post" button work.
Is there a conflict with programs I have running
(Ad-aware, Freesurfer, or anti-spyware stuff) that might be
causing this? Any suggestions?

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)
WWW_OpenURL
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.
Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.
If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

I tried using the file options, and all I could access is
the IExplore program. I couldn't find where to make the
other changes. Also, running the 'regsvr32 urlmon.dll'
didn't do anything for me. If it makes a difference, I am
using XP Home.

Hi,
If nothing in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679 helped,
see additional possibilities at:
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

Details are a little sparse, but this may be a malware problem.
Work through the solutions (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Regards,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

Brother Reuben said:
me 2, 9 outta 10 times i cannot get the linked page. it flashes for a
second then disappears. i tried MS article 281679, turned hardware accel
off, turned DDE off, nothing works! i need new suggestions, maybe a little
creative. anyhting to save me the $35 calling MS. thanx

thanx for the suggestions, but none of them worked. this is getting to be very annoying! please, i'll try anything.

If it makes a difference, I am using XP Home.

Don,

There is now an even more comprehensive repair for NT5 here:

<TITLE>831429 - Windows XP stops responding when you download updates from Windows Update</TITLE>
< http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831429 >

(Method 1. Says it is for W2K but it should work for XP too.)

Actually I think for this user's problem that just

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

may be enough.

Since the list of modules being re-registered is a superset of the list
that FixIE.inf causes to be re-registered, I think that the only reason
for Method 2 (doing an IE Repair) must be to try to do the verification
phase (which really doesn't do much IMO since so many modules have
been raised far beyond their OS respective initial versions.) Some day
we should take a stab a creating a *current* *useful* FixIE.inf. ;)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

Thanks. Added to favorites.

Don

Windows Update said:
< http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831429 >

(Method 1. Says it is for W2K but it should work for XP too.)

Actually I think for this user's problem that just

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

may be enough.

Since the list of modules being re-registered is a superset of the list
that FixIE.inf causes to be re-registered, I think that the only reason
for Method 2 (doing an IE Repair) must be to try to do the verification
phase (which really doesn't do much IMO since so many modules have
been raised far beyond their OS respective initial versions.) Some day
we should take a stab a creating a *current* *useful* FixIE.inf. ;)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---
news:utaQT%[email protected]...