HTML icon gets error

  • Start date Start date

Drona Achaibar

Hi, after removing a bunch of AOL programs from a user's
PC ( Win XP Pro, Office 2K), when I double click the icon
of a website saved on the desktop, I get this error:
"The file does not have a program associated with it for
performing this action. Create an association in the
Folder Options control panel." I can access the same site
from Favorites with no problem. Please help, thanks.

Download the .reg fix. Set Internet Explorer as default browser:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

The Parasite Fight:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

Hi, after removing a bunch of AOL programs from a user's
PC ( Win XP Pro, Office 2K), when I double click the icon
of a website saved on the desktop, I get this error:
"The file does not have a program associated with it for
performing this action. Create an association in the
Folder Options control panel." I can access the same site
from Favorites with no problem. Please help, thanks.

YW, Drona. That should set IE as the default browser. You may also use 'Internet Explorer Fix' utility which I wrote:
IEFIX Utility - Description: http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm

The problem with Internet Explorer is that when you click 'Yes' in the prompt which displays, it fixes the 'open' Command for most of the Internet filetypes. Sadly, the (default) verb is not set, which is also a most important thing. Many third-browsers alter the (default) and set their own verb there. Use IEFix and click ""Internet Explorer does not prompt for the default browser check? Click Here"" and restart Windows. Next time you launch Internet Explorer, agree to the prompt and click Yes to set it the default.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

The Parasite Fight:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

Download the .reg fix. Set Internet Explorer as default browser:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User