How to stop people bypassing file download restrictions?

  • Start date Start date

In GP I setup the attachment manager as follows:

Default risk level for all attachments - High
Inclusion list for high risk file types - .PDF
Trust logic for file attachments - File handler and type

Great - Now when people download pdf files they will be told they are
dangerous and the dowenload removed. Or not.

I noticed that whilst the prompt is on-scren, the user can just take a copy
of the file and the copy remains whilst the original is deleted.

Am I doing something wrong? Why does IE download the entire file before
deciding to block it?

Is it not possible to simply say that if a file type is in the high risk
list not to even download it?

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

I notice that you have posted the same question 28550350 in our newsgroup,
to which I have already responded. Please check my answer there, and if
you need any further assistance on this particular issue please reply to me
in that thread so I can follow up with you. For your convenience, I have
included my reply as follows:

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you want to block the file from downloading. If I have
misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

When you try to download or open a file from a Web site that is in the
restricted Web content zone, you may receive a message that indicates that
the file is blocked.

When you try to open high-risk file types from sites that belong to the
Internet Web content zone, you may receive a warning message, but you may
be able to open these types of files.

For more information, please refer to the following article:
Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883260

I hope my information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?ZnVua3lk?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: How to stop people bypassing file download restrictions?
| Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 00:34:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| In GP I setup the attachment manager as follows:
|
| Default risk level for all attachments - High
| Inclusion list for high risk file types - .PDF
| Trust logic for file attachments - File handler and type
|
| Great - Now when people download pdf files they will be told they are
| dangerous and the dowenload removed. Or not.
|
| I noticed that whilst the prompt is on-scren, the user can just take a
copy
| of the file and the copy remains whilst the original is deleted.
|
| Am I doing something wrong? Why does IE download the entire file before
| deciding to block it?
|
| Is it not possible to simply say that if a file type is in the high risk
| list not to even download it?

Back
Top