How to manage windows xp firewall via domain group policy

  • Start date Start date

Nick.V.

Hi!

I was searching on microsoft web site about managing xp sp2 windows firewall
via domain group policy but i couldn't understand something.
In order to set firewall settings in 2000 or 2003 domain controller should i
have first copy the system.adm administrative template from windows xp
\systemroot\inf location to 2003 or 2000 server \systemroot\inf
location????
Or should i download from microsoft web site???

Nick.V. said:
Hi!

I was searching on microsoft web site about managing xp sp2 windows firewall
via domain group policy but i couldn't understand something.
In order to set firewall settings in 2000 or 2003 domain controller should i
have first copy the system.adm administrative template from windows xp
\systemroot\inf location to 2003 or 2000 server \systemroot\inf
location????
Or should i download from microsoft web site???
Hi

You can copy them from a WinXP SP2 computer, or you can download
them from Microsoft's web site, both will be the same.

You can download the new WinXP SP2 adm files from here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=31057

Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngintro.mspx

If you want to configure the SP2 firewall:

Take a look at WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for
Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2", it is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

More about the WinXP SP2 .ADM files:

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Important information about XP SP2 .ADM Files
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#[email protected]

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: XP SP2 ADM File-Related Fixes Available From PSS
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: XP SP2 Version of Group Policy Reference Spreadsheet available
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#bTLC#[email protected]

(I see that the spreadsheet referenced to in the link above does not
include the new entries in the WUAU.adm file)

Back
Top