how do i base 1 combo box on another.

  • Start date Start date

i am new to access and i am trying to base 1 combo box depending on the
selection of another combo box. for e.g if i select a certain member of staff
i need it to narrow down there personal customers in another combo box so
they can select a customer.

Please note, this is asked and answered all the time. In the future, I'd
suggest you search for your answers before posting a new thread. The
easiest way I have found is to go to www.google.com, click the "groups"
option, and enter a search string similar to the following...

microsoft.public.access cascading combo

jason said:
i am new to access and i am trying to base 1 combo box depending on the
selection of another combo box. for e.g if i select a certain member of staff
i need it to narrow down there personal customers in another combo box so
they can select a customer.

populate the first combo box with Staff member names and ID's, for the second
combo box
create a query that looks up all the personnel customers using the Staff
member ID so when you select a Staff member in Combo1, the list in Combo2
will update.

if you need help with the queries or anything else let me know.

Hello,
I can get the combo box list to udate using the previous answers and links,
but I'd like to get the text to appear in the box. I still have to click on
the arrow and select.
Is there a way to get the text to be automatically displayed?

TIA

Hello,

The instructions posted at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;289670

Show the first item from the category displayed in the second box
automatically. I'm not sure what list item you want to display, but as the
list available in Combo2 is based on the selection in Combo1, there should
be multiple choices available.

Note in the example from the above article the last line for the
AfterUpdate event:

Me.Products = Me.Products.ItemData(0)

This sets the item displayed in Combo2 to the first on the list (0 based).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Dana

Dana Brash [MSFT]