How do I add a personal logon to my own computer?

G

"Auto logon as Administrator" feature in Windows 2000 Pro is not safe, and I have just now learned of this. I know that for installing programs, etc., I will still need to logon as Administrator, but I need to add a personal logon for the rest of the time. I asked Microsoft how to do that, through email form, but they confirmed that the auto logon is not safe, and referred me to a Developer Support phone number. Their website shows $245 for support on that line--NO WAY!
I have tried to learn how, through forum and website research, but am pretty confused at this time, because of all computers being in different situations than mine.
Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to go about adding a personal logon to Windows 2000 Pro? I do not get a logon window, of course, only a quick 'flash', before the boot continues.

G

Thank you very much for the help. I found out that through all my trial and error I had actually already set up the logon, in the administrators group, but when I would use it, I came up with a desk top that was above 'basic', but not what I had been using. Then I found something about user profiles, and found out I had to copy the administrator profile to my personal logon. I'm still not sure yet whether I did all that right, or not.
Since I found out that our Router has it's own physical firewall, and is supposed to be what is seen from the internet, rather than our computers, I would have just put a password on our Administrator logon, and left it at that, I think. However, when I tried to do that, it would not let me--the square is grayed-out, even with a check mark in the "must enter user name and password to use computer" check-marked.
My thanks again. I finally did get enough information from enough different sources, to muddle my way through to a solution. If it still doesn't work, I'll just use GoBack AGAIN. It has really gotten a work out the last week or so.

Ask a Question