how clear auto complete list?

  • Start date Start date

~AMDT~

Hi,
I have some misspelled sites and can't get them out of the auto complete
list. What I want to do, is just erase the
entire list and start over. Is there a way to do that?

TIA,

alex

Put the cursor over the address and it will highlight. Tap the Delete key
and it's gone.

Thanks for the suggestion Bruce, but that's the first thing
I did. It doesn't work on this system for some reason.

Hi Don,
I did as you suggested and also unchecked the other things there, but the
auto fill still auto fills.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Alex

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
See the options at Internet Options> Content> Autocomplete. You'll want to
clear the History.

More information at
217148 - How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217148

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"~AMDT~" wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
Hi,
I have some misspelled sites and can't get them out of the auto complete
list. What I want to do, is just erase the
entire list and start over. Is there a way to do that?

TIA,

alex

Hi AMDT - To delete ALL Addresses in the Drop Down list, go here and
download and install Mike Burgess' DelTypedURL.inf at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm See below for Selective Delete.

You can also get DelSearchMRU.inf at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelSearchMRU.inf

Note: this does not remove entries entered via AutoComplete. To remove
hidden AutoComplete entries in History:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm#AutoComplete

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure that ALL instances of IE6 are CLOSED before you do
the install of this (these) .inf files. Otherwise the "old" entries will
just be re-written back to the Registry when you close IE.

Some free third party alternatives are:
http://www.handyarchive.com/Internet/Browsers-Plugins/2440-Clear-IE-History.html
http://www.handyarchive.com/Internet/Security/11842--1Free-History-Eraser.html
http://www.handyarchive.com/Utilities/Disk-Utilities/4133-Free-History-Cleaner.html

A nice alternative just for selective of all Address (not Search) history
maintenance is EditURLs, here: http://www.aandrc.com/editurls/ Here also,
you must close ALL instances of IE6 for the deletions to "take".
Recommended

Back
Top