How can i FTP with SSL or TLS encryption?

  • Start date Start date

Johnny Granberg

Im trying to build an ftp class in VB.NET but i want it to be able to
encrypt the dataport and commandport but i have no idea how to do it.

does anyone have any clue how to do it?
either code or a website explaining the procedure would help.

Thank you in advance.

Hello!
You wrote on Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:01:01 +0200:

JG> Im trying to build an ftp class in VB.NET but i want it to be able to
JG> encrypt the dataport and commandport but i have no idea how to do it.
JG> does anyone have any clue how to do it?
JG> either code or a website explaining the procedure would help.

You can use SSLBlackbox (http://www.eldos.com/sbb/desc-ssl.php) to get
SSL-enabled sockets.

As for SSL/TLS in FTP - you should check the RFC for FTP. I don't remember
exact number, but that RFC describes the sequence of commands needed to turn
on SSL/TLS

Also, EldoS provides fast support so your questions will be answered in that
newsgroups.

With best regards,
Eugene Mayevski

Eugene said:
Hello!
You wrote on Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:01:01 +0200:

JG> Im trying to build an ftp class in VB.NET but i want it to be able to
JG> encrypt the dataport and commandport but i have no idea how to do it.
JG> does anyone have any clue how to do it?
JG> either code or a website explaining the procedure would help.

You can use SSLBlackbox (http://www.eldos.com/sbb/desc-ssl.php) to get
SSL-enabled sockets.

As for SSL/TLS in FTP - you should check the RFC for FTP. I don't remember
exact number, but that RFC describes the sequence of commands needed to turn
on SSL/TLS

Also, EldoS provides fast support so your questions will be answered in that
newsgroups.

With best regards,
Eugene Mayevski
Thank you for your reply, the thing is that i dont have that kind of
money that "premade" solutions costs, if i had i could have bought some
powertcp ftp component with ssl and tls.

So this project is supposed to be built with the framework only.

Ill try to find a rfc for it tho the last time i tryed i found only the
normal ftp rfc.

Thank you.

You can also download the whidbey beta of the .NET framework. This supports
SSL for FTP downloads.

--
feroze

This posting is provided as-is. It offers no warranties and assigns no
rights.

See http://weblogs.asp.net/feroze_daud for System.Net related posts.

Back
Top