Hosted WinForm Control in IE with IEAK causes Work Offline? prompt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I have created a .Net winforms control (Windows Control Library Project) that I want to host in a web page. There appears to be an interaction with some IEAK settings that cause the browser, after and/or while loading the control to pop up the message stating that 'no connection to the internet is currently available...' It asks the user if he/she wants to work offline or try again.

Either selection causes the control to continue to load and work fine, the user interruption is the problem. I know that it is IEAK causing the problem because if I log in with a user with appropriate rights, I can uncheck the 'Use Automatic configuration script' option in the LAN Settings window (Internet Options -> Connections) and the control loads without any prompt.

What would be causing this problem?

The control has no load or initialization event code, and page script is not calling any method in the control. It is written in VB.Net 1.1 with VS.Net 2003. The log shows a successful get of the component from the web server (IIS), and the IEHost log file shows a successful instantiation of the object with no errors. The IIS log does show a 404 when trying to get the IExplore.exe.config, but my understanding is that this is normal and OK. These logs are consistent with what I see when the control loads successfully without IEAK.

I would like to add that we digitally sign (authenticode) our control dll. This allows CAS security to be setup by publisher to allow necessary security rights via asserts within the control's code.

This is important becaus it appears that an empty control loads just fine, but when that control is signed, it encounters the problem (Work Offline dialog is presented). If trying to reproduce, you must clear Temp Internet Files and .Net Download cache, as well as closing and reopening IE to make the problem appear.

This is a very urgent issue in our development. Thank you.

Back