"History.IE5" folder is only thing shown in history

  • Start date Start date

All of a sudden my history is no longer kept or shown. It is set for 30 days
and had been working fine. Now it won't show anything, not even current
session. The History.IE.5 folder contains about a dozen folders shown as
"MSHist" followed by a long #. Inside of each of those is a blank index.dat
file. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi,
First possibility...
The ActiveX filter of McAfee (and possibly other) anti-virus programs can
interfere with the history function of IE. Just disable the ActiveX filter
(on the Internet Filter tab.)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819257

Or...
You might need to delete your damaged History folder- a new one will be
created on restart.
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm will delete the
History folder in Windows 9x,2K, XP.

Regards,
Don
[MVP IE/OE]

"FAH" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Thanks. I have Norton Antivirus. Where's the Internet Filter tab?

"FAH" wrote in message
All of a sudden my history is no longer kept or shown. It is set for 30 days
and had been working fine. Now it won't show anything, not even current
session. The History.IE.5 folder contains about a dozen folders shown as
"MSHist" followed by a long #. Inside of each of those is a blank index.dat
file. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check settings in NAV to see if it's capable of blocking ActiveX. Norton AV
may not have this feature. McAfee is notorious for causing problems with the
IE History.

Did you try deleting the History folder?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"FAH" wrote in message

I tried deleting the history folder, but the all powerful windows will not
let me. You know, "needed for running windows and cannot be deleted."....

"FAH" wrote in message
Thanks. I have Norton Antivirus. Where's the Internet Filter tab?

I deleted the history folder, rebooted, it made another one, but the issue
persists. Hist.IE5 is only thing shown. Throw it out the window(s)?
Thanks, Francie

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Back to http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm You will have to login as
another user with admin privileges or from the machine's default
administrator account (accessed from safe mode.)

Starting your computer in Safe mode- Symantec:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"FAH" wrote in message
I tried deleting the history folder, but the all powerful windows will not
let me. You know, "needed for running windows and cannot be deleted."....

And did you try?...

Menu Bar in History Pane No Longer Appears:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q296336
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

:

Hi,

"FAH" wrote in message
All of a sudden my history is no longer kept or shown. It is
set for
30
days
and had been working fine. Now it won't show anything, not
even current session. The History.IE.5 folder contains about
a dozen folders shown as "MSHist" followed by a long #.
Inside of each of those is a blank
index.dat file. Any ideas? Thanks.

Yes. The problem is that I can't load on IE because I get the message that I
already have a newer version on the machine. How do I uninstall it? It is not
in the add/remove program list, so I can't get rid of the one on my machine.
Also, I have 2 other user names on my (XP) computer and there is no problem
with the history on the other identities.

:

Hi,

FAH said:
I deleted the history folder, rebooted, it made another one, but the issue
persists. Hist.IE5 is only thing shown.

I assume/hope that was typo for History.IE5?
That's unusual. Usually you see the underlying files too.

I suspect that you have multiple folders and the one you are deleting
and the one that is recreating is not the one which the registry is perpetuating.

This symptom occurred before to many Win9x users:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...f&view=thread&noheader=1#doc_87bef8053567c731

(Yikes! March 2002... Thank God for Google...)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378