hiding menu items

  • Start date Start date

TB

I have an internet cafe, where I would like remove certain menu items on IE,
such as the "Tools" menu, and the "View -> Source" menu item. How can I do
that, and what is equally important, how can I restore IE to normal
operations mode again (for example when I have to use the computers??

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks

TB

Hi,
There are registry edits which will restrict many IE functions.
See:
Internet Explorer Restrictions
Internet Explorer Toolbar Restrictions
JSI Tip 1976. User restrictions in Internet Explorer:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBD/tip1900/rh1976.htm
823057 - The restrictions that are available to Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823057

If you export the key before editing it (and hide it somewhere on the HD)
you can quickly undo the restriction by merging that key back into the
registry. Also, the "Immunize" feature of Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html can lock Internet
Options.

Hope this helps,
Don

Thanks, just what I needed.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
There are registry edits which will restrict many IE functions.
See:
Internet Explorer Restrictions
Internet Explorer Toolbar Restrictions
JSI Tip 1976. User restrictions in Internet Explorer:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBD/tip1900/rh1976.htm
823057 - The restrictions that are available to Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823057

If you export the key before editing it (and hide it somewhere on the HD)
you can quickly undo the restriction by merging that key back into the
registry. Also, the "Immunize" feature of Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html can lock Internet
Options.

Hope this helps,
Don

BTW, is it possible to make some kind of script which I can run locally to
turn on and off these restrictions?

TB

No need for scripting (Of course, if offers much flexibility than a .REG)

How To Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a
Registration Entries (.reg) File:

To silently merge the registry changes:
regedit /s <filename.reg>

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User

BTW, is it possible to make some kind of script which I can run locally to
turn on and off these restrictions?

TB
"TB" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Back
Top