Help in printing from IDE

  • Start date Start date

Matt Brook

I don't know if this is the correct place to make this
post or not, but I need some help printing from the IDE.

Is there some code of option that would encrypt the
contents of a file when printed from the IDE?

When I print out a file:

#Region comes out #5HJLRQ
Imports comes out ,PSRUWV
As String comes out $V 6WULQJ

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
Matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for posting in the group.

I think vsnet.ide group should be better for this type of issue.
dotnet.framework is for framework programming issues. :)

After reviewing the description, my understanding of the issue is: Now when
you print some strings from IDE, they appear as corrupted chars in the
printed page. Please post here if I misunderstood the problem.

I don't think there is any encryption option when printing from IDE. In
order to troubleshoot the issue, we could try the following steps:

1) Do you meet this problem when printing to other printers?
2) Do you meet it when printing other codes in IDE?
3) Is there any VS.NET Add-in installed in your system?
4) If you print the same file from VS.NET in another machine, do you meet
the problem?

Please post here if you have any more concerns.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Matt Brook" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "Matt Brook" <[email protected]>
!Subject: Help in printing from IDE
!Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:47:59 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
!

Matt,
Get the latest version of the printer drivers from your printer's
manufacturer. This is most often caused by old printer drivers.

Ron Allen

Yan-Hong,

Here are my answers to the questions:
Now when you print some strings from IDE, they appear as
corrupted chars in the printed page.

Let me clarify this with some more detail.

I just created a new class and here are the contents:

' This is a test class for demonstration

Public Class Class1

Public Sub SayHello()
MsgBox("Hello", , "This is a test")
End Sub

End Class

This is how it printed out:

X:\...Class1.vb
1
1 ' 7KLV LV D WHVM FODVV IRU GHPRQVWUDWLRQ
2
3 3XEOLF &ODVV &ODVV1
4
5 3XEOLF 6XE 6D\+HOOR()
6 OVJ%R[("+HOOR", , "7KLV LV D
WHVW")
7 (QG 6XE
8
9 (QG &ODVV
10

This is very strange and it happens with every class file
that I print, even my app.config file comes out this way.

1) Do you meet this problem when printing to other
printers?

Yes. Any printer that I print to, this hapens.

2) Do you meet it when printing other codes in IDE?

Yes. Any file that I print this happens.

3) Is there any VS.NET Add-in installed in your system?

Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.DataAccess
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement
PowerToys for VS.NET 2003:
CustomHelpBuilder
VBCommenter
VSTweak

4) If you print the same file from VS.NET in another machine, do you meet
the problem?

I am the only programmer at my site. There are
programmers at a another site using VS.NET and they do
not have this problem.

Thank you for your help,
Matt Brook

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the detailed response.

Firstly, I want to mention that there is no such encryption function in IDE
to make such behaviors. The problem that you met should be specific to your
machine. Based on my experiece, it may be caused by some corrupted system
files.

Did you meet it just after you installed vs.net? or after using it for some
time, and it suddently happened? If you use other editors such as notepad
to print document, do you meet this problem?

If the printing problem only happens in vs.net IDE, my suggestion for you
now is to reinstall PowerToys first to see if the problem is still there.
If so, please go ahead and repair vs.net in control panel->add/remove
programs.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Matt Brook" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "Matt Brook" <[email protected]>
!Subject: RE: Help in printing from IDE
!Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:51:44 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
!Yan-Hong,
!
!----------------------------------------------------------
!---------------------------------------------------
!

Yan-Hong,

Thanks for your repsonse.
Here are answers to questions:
Did you meet it just after you installed vs.net?
It has always been printing this way since I installed
VS.NET 2003. It worked fine in VS.NET 2002.
If you use other editors such as notepad to print
document, do you meet this problem?
All other applications print correctly.
If the printing problem only happens in vs.net IDE, my
suggestion for you now is to reinstall PowerToys first to
see if the problem is still there. If so, please go ahead
and repair vs.net
I uninstalled all of the PowerToys and have repaired
VS.NET and I am still having the same problem.

It just seems strange that it prints out the file header
and the line numbers correctly, but the contents of the
file look like they have a Caeser cipher applied to them.

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the response.

I think there are still two things we could try:

1) Go to the web site of your printer manufacturer. Download the latest
version of printer driver and test again.

2) Completely reinstal VS.NET on the system. For detailed steps, pleaes
refer to this MSDN article:
"HOW TO: Manually Remove Visual Studio .NET 2002 Components"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320114

Please post here if the problem is still there.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Matt Brook" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "Matt Brook" <[email protected]>
!Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:39:25 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
!Yan-Hong,
!
!

Hi Matt,

By the way, if there is any antivirus tool on the machine, please disable
it and test again.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang