Hard drive light permanently on

  • Start date Start date

Paul

Hi guys, I have a little problem. I recently added a floppy drive to my pc
( i had no need for one previously). I have since unplugged the floppy drive
and put it away again, but now I find that my hard drive light is
permananlty on. this is a bit disconcerting for me cos I want my PC to
function 100% properly. could someone please suggest a possible cause and
solution for a permanantly-on hard drive light?

It works fine otherwise. It is possible that it is simply coincidental that
they light is always on now and the work with the floppy drive.

Paul wrote in message ...
Hi guys, I have a little problem. I recently added a floppy drive to my pc
( i had no need for one previously). I have since unplugged the floppy drive
and put it away again, but now I find that my hard drive light is
permananlty on. this is a bit disconcerting for me cos I want my PC to
function 100% properly. could someone please suggest a possible cause and
solution for a permanantly-on hard drive light?

It works fine otherwise. It is possible that it is simply coincidental that
they light is always on now and the work with the floppy drive.

anyone?

Paul said:
Hi guys, I have a little problem. I recently added a floppy drive to my pc
( i had no need for one previously). I have since unplugged the floppy drive
and put it away again, but now I find that my hard drive light is
permananlty on. this is a bit disconcerting for me cos I want my PC to
function 100% properly. could someone please suggest a possible cause and
solution for a permanantly-on hard drive light?

It works fine otherwise. It is possible that it is simply coincidental that
they light is always on now and the work with the floppy drive.

I had a similar problem recently and solved it, but the cause may be
different from yours. In my case, one of the wires feeding the HD
light from the motherboard had had its sleeving cut open by a sharp
edge in the cabinet, and was shorting to the case metal which is also
the common ground for the system. The cure was obvious.

This was a machine that I built for a friend and the sypmtom was
present from the beginning. I assumed that the motherboard was faulty
and called my supplier. They shipped a replacement, but when the HD
LED still stayed on, I got suspicious, opened the front cover, and
there it was - a faulty assembly by the cabinet manufacturer.

Perhaps something similar happened when you installed the FDD ?

Zotin Khuma wrote in message
"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I had a similar problem recently and solved it, but the cause may be
different from yours. In my case, one of the wires feeding the HD
light from the motherboard had had its sleeving cut open by a sharp
edge in the cabinet, and was shorting to the case metal which is also
the common ground for the system. The cure was obvious.

This was a machine that I built for a friend and the sypmtom was
present from the beginning. I assumed that the motherboard was faulty
and called my supplier. They shipped a replacement, but when the HD
LED still stayed on, I got suspicious, opened the front cover, and
there it was - a faulty assembly by the cabinet manufacturer.

Perhaps something similar happened when you installed the FDD ?

thankyou for your feedback, I will check all of my cords etc to make sure
nothing is amiss. this gives me somewhere to start so thankyou.

Paul said:
Hi guys, I have a little problem. I recently added a floppy drive to my pc
( i had no need for one previously). I have since unplugged the floppy drive
and put it away again, but now I find that my hard drive light is
permananlty on. this is a bit disconcerting for me cos I want my PC to
function 100% properly. could someone please suggest a possible cause and
solution for a permanantly-on hard drive light?

It works fine otherwise. It is possible that it is simply coincidental that
they light is always on now and the work with the floppy drive.

I had that problem once, and, after reversing the HD light plug
into the mainboard to no effect, I changed the BIOS setting of
my cdrom drive from "Auto" to "CDROM". For whatever
reason, that solved the problem. This may not be relevant to
your problem, however.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Are you sure it's the HD activity light? Did you change anything o the
HD?Installig the floppy cable backwards will cause the floffy light to stay on
all the time. Check it anyway.

Back
Top