Hanging Windows

  • Start date Start date

I am totally disgusted with the constant 'hanging window' problem in IE
version 6. I have reported the problem as many as 10 times a day - on days I
decide to report it - though it is an every day occurance. I have gone
through ALL the Microsoft suggested fixes and NONE of them have changed the
problem. In total disgust I downloaded Netscape to use as a browser and
found that I wound up with 'hanging windows' there too - so it is definitely
a Microsoft problem and not just an IE browser problem. Microsoft only
offers the same useless advise each time. Has anyone found a way to stop
this annoyance? I tire of the three finger salute constantly being needed
(Con-Alt-Del). Any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, we are not familiar your "hanging window" problem, so
you'll have to explain it in more detail if you want help here.

You're sure this is a "Microsoft problem", right? It couldn't possibly
be a virus problem, spyware problem, misconfiguration problem, hardware
problem, network problem....

Hanging window is the term Microsoft is using for it when it is reported to
them- as is done about 5 times a day. They respond with a list of
suggestions to fix the problem - i.e. check for viruses, spyware, etc. I
have gone through each and every one of their suggestions without resolving
the problem. This has gone on since the day I purchased the computer. The
IE browser window simply stops working and hangs there - cannot be closed.
It takes the 3 finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to close it down. We have 5
computers here in the house and this is my 4th one in the last 10 years so I
am not exactly a computer novice. I have every kind of anti virus, anti-spy
etc. type program on my computer - all reputable companies- no junk.
Frankly- I would think that a company that is concerned at all with how their
software operates (obviously not MSN) would start to suggest new fixes after
6 months of repeated complaints about the same problem... however in the real
world that is as likely to happen as I am likely to lose 40 pounds by
clicking the word diet with my cursor..... Believe me - every possible cause
has been thoroughly checked out - re MSN suggestions. Everything here is in
perfect working order and fully up to date and yet the problem continues.
Thanks for answering my post.

Yes - IE6 XP SP2

Don Varnau said:
IE6 XP SP2?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Semper_Steph said:
I am totally disgusted with the constant 'hanging window' problem in IE
version 6. I have reported the problem as many as 10 times a day - on days I
decide to report it - though it is an every day occurance. I have gone
through ALL the Microsoft suggested fixes and NONE of them have changed the
problem. In total disgust I downloaded Netscape to use as a browser and
found that I wound up with 'hanging windows' there too - so it is definitely
a Microsoft problem and not just an IE browser problem. Microsoft only
offers the same useless advise each time. Has anyone found a way to stop
this annoyance? I tire of the three finger salute constantly being needed
(Con-Alt-Del). Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,
Without knowing what you've tried (no... don't post that list... yet)

First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Since Netscape is also affected, a third-party security program may be
involved. Or, you may have conflicting security programs. It is possible
(IMO) to have too many security/privacy programs running.
Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers,
security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at
any program that might be interfering with IE. You may have to reconfigure,
reinstall, or not reinstall, a program.

*** Important... Turn on the Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or
Security Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.

Also, look for "Take out the trash" at http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Semper_Steph said:
Yes - IE6 XP SP2
Don Varnau said:
IE6 XP SP2?
"Semper_Steph" <Semper_Steph[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I am totally disgusted with the constant 'hanging window' problem in IE
version 6. I have reported the problem as many as 10 times a day - on
days
decide to report it - though it is an every day occurance. I have gone
through ALL the Microsoft suggested fixes and NONE of them have
changed
the
problem. In total disgust I downloaded Netscape to use as a browser and
found that I wound up with 'hanging windows' there too - so it is definitely
a Microsoft problem and not just an IE browser problem. Microsoft only
offers the same useless advise each time. Has anyone found a way to stop
this annoyance? I tire of the three finger salute constantly being needed
(Con-Alt-Del). Any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top