Geocities HELP!

  • Start date Start date

Hi, ever since I downloaded the WinXP service pack2 I have been unable to run
the PageBuilder program on Geocities. I have since reinstalled Java, tried
usin Netscape, then reinstalled Netscape Full Version and now I don't know
what to do. I have gone through all the enable steps for java, I have lowered
the security, allowed all popup adds. I am at a loss!
Can anyone help me? Thanks!

I am having the EXACT same problem as Chrystal and no one on the GeoCities
board can help. What is going on? Can someone please help us? My Java
works everyplace BUT GeoCities.
Threadsofgold

Hi,
Some possibilities:
Go to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone, set it to Default.

Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Disable (as a test) any third-party security programs to see if one of them
is blocking
scripts, scripting, active content. Norton Internet Security can cause
problems of this nature with XP SP2.

Uninstall Java Runtime Environment (from add/remove programs) and download
and install the latest version of J2SE-JRE from
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Try Firefox from mozilla.org. Java information at
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#q2.2

Longshot, but, Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active
content to run in
files on My Computer ." If this doesn't help, change it back- for security.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"threadsofgold[at]discussions.microsoft.com" wrote in message

The latest Java is 5 here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Don Varnau said:
[...]

Thanks for your suggestions, but I can't do this. When I go to settiings to
delete files in IE, it stops responding. In fact, IE stops responding a LOT!
I also dowmoladed Netscape to try to get Yahoo PageBuilder to load and I had
the same problem as I had with IE. I've also donloaded the latest Java,
reconfigured Norton Web thing and all those suggestions from the Geocities
PageBuilder forums. Tons of peiople are having this problem with Windows XP.

Speaking of Windows XP, what is it with those donloads that you guys force
on us that cause thigns to stop working?

Guess I'm missing something but when I pay a FORTUNE for a computer system
using the latest technology and pay another fortune for cable access so that
things should run smooth and fast, I don't wnat to try this and that, I
expect things to WORK! Too much to ask, Microsoft?

I am slowly becoming a future Apple customer after using a computer since
before Windows even existed and things were compatable!

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Delete the Temporary Internet Files folder- it may be corrupted. A new one
will be created on restart. Set the size of the new folder to 50-60 MB. See
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Did you try this?security.

BTW... MVPs and others who provide help in the microsoft.public newsgroups
are volunteers who do not work for Microsoft.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

in message

Don Varnau said:
[...]

unable
to run don't
know have
lowered the security, allowed all popup adds. I am at a loss!

"(e-mail address removed)"

:
Hi, ever since I downloaded the WinXP service pack2 I have been unable
run the PageBuilder program on Geocities. I have since reinstalled
Java,
tried usin Netscape, then reinstalled Netscape Full Version and now I
don't know what to do. I have gone through all the enable steps for
java,
I have lowered the security, allowed all popup adds. I am at a loss!

First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stack. Before
you try to remove spyware, download a copy of LSP-Fix - a free program to
repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thanks everyone but I don't have time for all this! I have three adware
killer programs that I used.
This is a Geocitoes issue and they say they are working on the problem. I
simply copied my web page into outlook express, edited it there, published
itin Geocoities but renamed the original one first for future adeventures in
PageBuilder. (Once a PageBuilder file is modified elsewhere, it wll not open
in PageBuilder.)

"(e-mail address removed)"

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Back