Form will not show existing records

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Basic Info
I have developed a data base with Access 2002 which came bundled in Office XP Professional. As a part of this data base, I developed a Form using the form wizard which will send data to up to 6 tables. The form is designed to track invitations sent. Each entry on the form includes data which is then sent to some or all of the subordinate tables. In other words, one table handles the addressee, the second handles the information about the addressee’s spouse if one exists. Table 3 is for the first childs info if there is a child; and so on through 4 children if so many exist. Each entry could send info to as few as one of the tables or as many as all six. In the end, each table will have a different number of records, but each record's primary key matches. If a form entry is made with only an addressee and their spouse but no kids, records will be generated in the first 2 tables while no entries will be made to tables 3 through 6. The six tables have a single relationship which is also the Primary Key for each table. The relationships are 1 to 1 with “Enforced Referential Integrity,†“Cascade Update Related Fields†and “Cascade Delete Related Fields†selected. All the related fields are of the same format (Text) and have matching data
While viewing the Form in Edit Status, and working in the Properties Box under the “Data†tab, I have selected “No†for Data Entry, while Allow Filters, Allow Edits, Allow Deletions and Allow Additions are all set to “Yes.â€

Problem
When this form is displayed in “Form View†the data which exists in the associated tables is not displayed. As I add data, the “Record of Record†count increases and I can scroll through the records to view them and make changes, but when I close the program and re-open it, the form shows none of the data which has been entered. The data does exist in the appropriate tables but is not displayed in the form.

Basic Info:
I have developed a data base with Access 2002 which came bundled in Office XP Professional. As a part of this data base, I developed a Form using the form wizard which will send data to up to 6 tables. The form is designed to track invitations sent. Each entry on the form includes data which is then sent to some or all of the subordinate tables. In other words, one table handles the addressee, the second handles the information about the addressee’s spouse if one exists. Table 3 is for the first childs info if there is a child; and so on through 4 children if so many exist. Each entry could send info to as few as one of the tables or as many as all six. In the end, each table will have a different number of records, but each record's primary key matches. If a form entry is made with only an addressee and their spouse but no kids, records will be generated in the first 2 tables while no entries will be made to tables 3 through 6. The six tables have a single relationship which is also
the Primary Key for each table. The relationships are 1 to 1 with “Enforced Referential Integrity,” “Cascade Update Related Fields” and “Cascade Delete Related Fields” selected. All the related fields are of the same format (Text) and have matching data.
While viewing the Form in Edit Status, and working in the Properties Box under the “Data” tab, I have selected “No” for Data Entry, while Allow Filters, Allow Edits, Allow Deletions and Allow Additions are all set to “Yes.”

You're having trouble because your table structure is severely
non-normalized!

A separate table for Child1, Child2, etc. is *extremely* bad design.

I'd suggest instead a table of Families with the address information,
and a general family-name field ("The Thompsons", or "Bill & Melinda
Gates" or the like) related one-to-many to a People table. If there
are two children or twelve children in the family, you'ld just add
records to this related table. The People table would have a FamilyID
as a foreign key.

This structure can be managed with a simple Form and Subform. Your
current structure will be very, very difficult to maintain (and will
break the day you get a family with five kids).

Back