Form/subform problems!!

Reaction score
Help! I am somewhat new to Access and completed what I thought was a beautiful database design, only to encounter major problems when entering data on my form.

I have a Main table that is related (one to many) to several other small tables via a control called "PSID." My relationships screen looks like a star, with Main table in the center with several one to many relationships with other tables via PSID (primary key in Main).

The heart of the problem:
I wanted a single form for data entry, for simplification reasons. To do this, I created a form for Main that contained command buttons to open one of the smaller forms. This way a user can fill out a record in Main and click command buttons to fill out smaller forms as needed without having to directly open a new form. This worked fine when entering my first record in Main. I could fill out forms that were opened thru command buttons. But now, I am getting the error "Cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in the table Main."

The thing is, before I click any command buttons, I have already typed the PSID in Main (therefore creating the related record in Main, no?) and saved it. If I open the table Main, the PSID shows up. So what other related record is required??

The reason that I have several small tables is that not every PSID in Main will have data in the variables within smaller tables.

PLEASE help. I've spent all day trying to figure this out with no success.

Thanks!

Back